What can I do to get my 4 year old to sleep all night?

My 4 year old son, had his tonsils & adenoids out Sept 10th-I expected rough nights after (which we had) But, now the healing is over, and he WILL NOT sleep. He will go to bed at 8pm and I give him 1 movie~and he will still be awake at 11pm-He gets up ALL night, Once hes in my bed, he sleeps sound. He has to wake up for Headstart at 6;45am, and I physically have to get him dressed! He fights me SO bad. He does NOT nap, I have tried warm baths, No tv, and exausting him...NOTHING is working....Any help would be GREAT! I am BURNT OUT!!! (I also have 2 other children to tend to and get to school) He used to get up early REALLY good...AGHHHHH!

Shanz-3

Asked by Shanz-3 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• This might sound harsh, but you need to lay down the law. He needs his rest, and it might be a couple nights of him being ticked and stuck in his room before he goes back to sleeping well, but (again) he needs to sleep. Its imparitive that he is well rested for learning and development-- not to mention your sanity and ability to take care of your family.
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I agree, tough love is needed, not only for your sanity but for his health as well, without sleep his immune system is being broken down. It won't be easy but will be better for everyone in the long run, good luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:40 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If he comes out of his room, put him right back. It may takes hours the first night, but it will get easier each night. After the first time, don't talk to him at all. Just put him right back in bed over and over until he gets sick of it and stays there and falls asleep. I know this from watching Super Nanny. That's what she does, and it works.
    flowrchild77

Answer by flowrchild77 at 12:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• My first thought is he needs help remembering how to get to sleep without an aid. We *all* wake up at some point in the night. The rest of us just get back to sleep quickly and with ease. If your son is sleeping with a movie on a) he's not self-soothing. When he wakes, he's looking for the same mechanism that got him to sleep in the first place. b) he's not finding a deep, restful sleep if the TV is on - the light and the sound is keeping him from getting a GOOD sleep. lose the TV. When he gets up, put him back. He's old enough to understand clear and simple directions. Let him know there is no choice here he has to go to bed and stay in bed. be consistent. Pick one thing and stick with it. If he climbs in your bed, put him back in his and tell him flat out "You have to stay in your bed. Good night. I love you." Then leave. If he comes out, put him back. Stand firm.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:22 PM on Oct. 6, 2009