Do you care if your children have the same morals, values and ethics as you've taught them?

Be nice to others and use manners, tolerant and accepting of all races, etc., respect yourself and others, seek balance in your life, learn the difference between what you want and what you need, use your head and make your own decisions (don't be manipulated), contribute, don't complain constantly, do things that make you a better person, take responsibility for your actions, don't BS...
If they grow up to want a completely different set of values, would you be OK with that?
Do we all have these fears, or just me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The ones you're talking about there - yes, I do want my kids to have those values, and there are times that I've worried or wondered if I was instilling them. But overall, I think they do have those values.

Now, other values, such as political views, etc, while of course I would like it if my kids agreed with me, I won't be all upset or bent out of shape if they didn't.

I think we just have to do our best, and start when they're small, to teach them these things, and keep at it even as they get older, then trust them when they become adults to follow what they've been taught.

kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:00 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Your not the only one dear. Ultimately though once your kids are grown there is little or nothing you can do to enforce your morals on your adult kids. They will do as they see fit. If you raised them up correctly, then you have a better chance than other but thats about it.

vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 10:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• That is part of growing up. I say, I hope they do follow my morals and do as I do, but we all know that ever person is diffrent, and just pray they are safe and healthy. That is all you can do. Don't worry about that now. They will find their way.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• The likelyhood of them ahving different ones is slim to none, children learn from what they see and usually carry it out throughout their lives be it good or bad. The basics between good and bad will stay. I wouldn't worry about that, they won't steer too far from where you lead them.

Answer by older at 1:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• There is a saying, there is always 1 child who want to be a rebel.Well, I have 5 daughters,all good,meek,humble,educated ,believe in working hard,BUT 1,my 19 yr. old decided at 16,she wanted to date,get her a boyfriend and she lost her mind,lol,and she stopped going to church,I mean everything we taught this girl for 16 years went out the window,and this was and is the hardest thing we as parents had to witness.She did graduate from school,but ,she refuses to go to college,she likes the loud crowd.My DH used to blame her friends and her low-life boyfriend for her actions,but,I only blame her,we taught her right from wrong,we instilled values into her,so you can't blame others ,when your kids act out. My DD is finally trying to come around,but,it's hard .

Anonymous

• I do believe that we should teach our children to have morals, values and ethics . I guess it's not only vital for them but for the whole society too. However, I keep telling them that they respect whoever respect them, otherwise they don't have to even if someone is older than them. Generally I keep telling them to react and behave the same way the others do to them. If these people are good and honest my children should be too. They have to be flexible. Something like fair play I guess.
    yianna671

Answer by yianna671 at 4:15 AM on Oct. 7, 2009