What is the best cough syrup for kids?

All 5 of the kids are coughing and not feeling well. The oldest 2 are big enough for smaller doses of adult medicine. I am looking for a good cough syrup for the younger 3. They are 5 and 2 year old twins. I have tried Mucinex cough syrup, but it doesn't seem to be helping and they aren't getting much rest at night.

KamiB79

Asked by KamiB79 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If you follow dosages PROPERLY there is no chance of OD'ing your kid.

If it's a DRY cough in the throat, honey does help.

If it's a dry, tickle, constant cough, see the pediatrician (my son's have asthma and that's what their attacks sound like)

If it's a "juicy" cough or sounds like there's congestion in the chest, see the doctor.

Tylenol 3 is for PAIN, not coughs!!!! It's tylenol with codeine in it and has a MUCH greater chance of stomach upset than Delsym.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Honey. :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• In our house we use Delsym grape
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I swear that nothing works:(
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I don't use anything. Talk to your child's doctor about what is best. Also, if cough syrup isn't working, it could be something else...like the flu or an upper respitory infection.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• DO NOT give a child under 6 cough syrup-- if the cough is bad enough to bother them that they have not slept in 2 or 3 days call your Pediatrician and ask for and Rx of tylenol #3 it is WAY WAY WAY safer then Delsym or any other OTC med and it works very well-- Delsym Kills like 10 kids a year-- seriously look it up
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009