HELP! How can I get my picky autistic son to eat normal food!!!

My son is 4yrs.old and it seems the only food he'll eat is french fries, mashed potatoes, fish sticks and mac&cheese....he use to eat meat and vegs, but for the past year does not want any other thing except that, what should I do to get him eating normal....as far as drinks are he only drinks water and an occasional diet soda.....it is so frustrating I want him to be healthy by eating healthy any ideas?

Smiley0815

Asked by Smiley0815 at 10:19 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in About CafeMom

• sneak it in his food he eats now...... i do!!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 6:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• or feed him apples... and no soda mom.....hyper
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• First, make sure that he is drinking plenty of water, so he doesn't get dehydrated. Keep offering a variety of healthy foods, eventually he will start eating them. Offer him cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta & veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce. We use the 3 bite rule. you must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter & honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Moms who cave are part of the reason why by the end of next year one half of American children will be both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in tis century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk for a while

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 AM on Oct. 6, 2009