Cereal in formula

How old was your baby when started putting cereal in his/her formula? How did u know it was time to start adding cereal?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never did...I just went to strait cereal. And she was 8 months old.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my son was 2 months old, and I knew because he was going through over 8oz of formula and still wasnt' satisfied, mind you, this was back in 1993 and children didn't start choking on formula in their bottles untill recent years lol. My daughter had cereal in her bottle at around 4 weeks, but she had reflux
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:46 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It's not recommended to put cereal in formula. When baby is ready for more then just formula or breast milk, they should be eating solids from a spoon. And personally, I don't care much for infant cereal. I skipped it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I was told to not start cereal until 6 months and to give it to her using a bowl and spoon not in the bottle. I never used it in the bottle for either of my girls.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 10:48 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Lol zakysmommy!

I started at 2 months also because she was so hungry all the time. But I spoonfed it to her mostly and once in a while I'd put it in her bedtime bottle. She had reflux problems from birth and the cereal helped a lot.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I never did. There was no reason to. they wanted 8oz every 2 hours, they got 8oz every 2 hours. We started it in a bowl when they were 4 months.

Unless directed by a pediatrician to do so, there really is no reason to put it in the bottle. It doesn't help in the long run with their hunger. They're more hungry later because you cut back on the calories you gave them.

Why would a formula fed baby "need" cereal in the bottle when a breastfed baby doesn't need formula in their breastmilk?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• LOL my son would have "needed" cereal in breastmilk too lol. It's was all about sustanance, he was hungary and miserable, with cereal in his bottle, he was full and happy and healthy.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:28 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Anon 11:09

Thats not true about BF babies not needing formula with the breast milk. My son was in the NICU and they told me that my milk was not enough for him and that they needed to put in a formula with my milk to add more calories.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:35 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I started at 6 weeks. Spoon fed him cereal (1/2 to 1 teaspoon full)- slept like a baby!!
    Kathy772

Answer by Kathy772 at 11:47 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Shelii....I am so sorry! I typed wrong! HUGE time! lol

I meant....breastfed babies don't need CEREAL added to the breastmilk!!!

I apologize! I shouldn't try to multi-task so much! LOL
    Anonymous