We have two insurance plans to choose from.

I posted this last night and got one response so I am trying again. DH got new insurance options, one is MUCH better coverage overall (covers more, lower deductibles), a little more expensive, BUT does not have an OB in my area, so I would have to go to a family practice when we conceive (we are TTC). The other actually has an OBGYN but its not as good of a plan. Are general practice doctors as competent (had c-section because of complications the first time around) and comfortable?

auroura

Asked by auroura at 10:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Health

• I had to travel 45 minutes-1hr each way to see my midwife when I was pregnant. If you are TTC, I think at this point you should be most concerned with the coverage. If you had a C-section last time, you do not necessarily have to have another one, but there is definitely a higher probability that you will have a C-section. Estimate how much each plan will leave you paying out of pocket through L&D and everything. Then decide if the difference in cost is worth the longer commute to an OB, etc.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 11:09 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I would want an OBGYN for pregnancy. How far is the nearest OBGYN. Lots of people travel and hour for a dr. any further than that and I wouldnt want to travel. How much is the good insurance if you have to pay out of network? You could always go to OB of your choice and pay out of network.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Thats the thing, the better coverage plan doesn't have an out of network option. But its 3-4k less out of pocket ($10 less a copay, lower deductibles, ect). Its so much cheaper because you HAVE to use their doctors. There is a fair number of options for family practice around here but the nearest ob thats covered is 90 miles away. Thats kind of a long way to go especially as we only have one car (we live in a small town and usually walk/take the very good bus system when we need to).
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:20 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My GP won't deliver. Others may be the same way.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You also have to take into account the difference in fuel cost for your visits, and if you work it will cost you significantly more in lost wages to have to travel so far to get to an OB with the better plan. I would call around and see if there are, in fact, any in-network family practice doctors in your area who will deliver a baby for you. If there are, most doctors will do a no cost meet-and-greet appointment to talk to you and answer your questions. Set up an appt to see if the family practice Dr. is someone you feel you can trust. Look online, there are plenty of places you can find sample lists of questions to ask when looking for a new Dr/OB.
    Good luck!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 1:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• We love our family practioner! My husband, daughter (at 14, she has never seen a pediatrician), sister and family and several friends all see the same two doctors.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 AM on Oct. 6, 2009