Breastfeeding prep tips?

Hello. I am expecting my first baby in March. My mother-in-law told me the other day that if I am planning to breastfeed I need to start preparing. She told me to rub my nipples with towels. My breasts are so sore right now, that rubbing them with towels sounds excrutiating! I also understand that if I do not start prepping, that I will regret it later!
I was wondering of other people's methods for preparing to breastfeed. I appretiate all help! Thank you!

AngelOnBoard

Asked by AngelOnBoard at 11:07 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you don't need to prepare your breasts in any way! your mil is plain wrong :)

you might want to prepare by finding a good breastfeeding book though, like

The Breastfeeding Answer Book by La Leche League, International
    or
    The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League, International
    or
    Babies, Breastfeeding and Bonding by Ina May Gaskin

good luck and congrats. breastfeeding is wonderful btw :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• No prep is needed for breastfeeding! I breastfed two babies and did nothing before hand to prepare! Your body will do what it needs to do to get ready the closer your due date gets. As far as after the baby is born, I would recommend a cream for your nipples as they will be sore at first but trust me, there is no preparing for that! Good luck to you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:18 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I like those answers! thanks!
    AngelOnBoard

Answer by AngelOnBoard at 11:24 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• No prep is needed for breastfeeding. Just make sure you have Lansinoh breast cream available. There will be times when your nipples will feel dry and sore, and Lansinoh helps a lot.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 11:25 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• No prep!!! That's an old wives tale...you don't need to toughen up your nipples and rubbing them with a towel will cause callouses that will impeed nursing. Talk to a lactation consultant, go to a breastfeeding class, and ask for help when you need it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• No physical preparation necessary. It may hurt for the first few weeks, but most of it is because of baby latching and letdown, neither of which is something you can prepare for. The best thing you can do is educate yourself; read books, go to classes, speak with breastfeeding mothers -- figure out beforehand what's normal, what's not, what some common problems are, and what you can do to correct them. And take advantage of the lactation consultant at the hospital, even if things are going smoothly.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:38 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• the only thing I can think of that I did that helped was started using the lanolin now because it can sometimes keep them from cracking longer(and no not all womens nipples crack) mil is talking about the old wives tale that you can "toughen up" your nipples so its not so hard later...doesnt help at all. just tell her thanks for the tips and smile lol.then do what you want.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I agree with the lanolin now but other than that the only prep work you really need is knowledge.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• um you dont have to do anything just relax, just mjake sure you have a good pillow , nursing bra, breast pads and a good pump especialy if you plan on returning to work. and of coursetake classes, and read books.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• That is not a very helpful tip... sorry she told you that.     :-(
    You can stop now!

It's a pretty natural experience that we don't really need to physically prep for.   But it can really help a lot to have support & encouragement once baby arrives.

This website is full of helpful info and tips:     Breastfeeding

Good luck!     :-D

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2009