My 2 year old (almost 2) has a cold, sneezing and coughing, what can i give him, and what fluids should i and shouldnt i keep in him. What kind of foods, he seems pretty miserable

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would keep him on a light diet not really anything really heavy on his belly. What's most important that you keep the fluids juice, (apple,grape,cranberry,) just don't give him a lot of milk, and NO ORANGE JUICE, orange juice has a lot of acid in it that it can upset his belly and cause a lot of Flem. I hope he feels better soon. You can also give him tylenol cold for call his doctors office and ask how much he can take.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:21 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• as long as he is not vomiting, give him whatever he'll eat- but stay away from dairy, it will cause more mucous.

keep him hydrated with water, or juice watered down at least 50/50.

triaminic makes a good decongestant, which contains an expectorant, (helps move mucous out of the chest) and nasal decongestant. it is approved for use in a child his age, use his weight as guidelines for dosage.
    unless he can not sleep, don't give him cough medicine. the purpose of a cough, its to rid the body of the virus/bacteria harboring mucous... it actually makes then stay sick longer, when you give them cough medicine. try using 1 part each, lemon juice, honey, & hot water, and let him sip it. that'll ease any discomfort, without giving him drugs.

hope he feels better soon!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My doctor said hot beverages (or warm for him) are really useful for cold/flu because they wash the germs into the stomach where they stop causing problems. I make DS hot apple cider, either from the packet or by warming some apple cider up with a little bit of Cinnamon. I also have a pretty wide selection of tea because I like it and make him some sometimes that is non-caffeinated. I do kool-aid too just because its easy to water down and cheaper than juice when trying to keep DS hydrated when he is sick.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:45 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Give him fruit, give him water, cuddle up with him as much as you can.

I would also burn some eucalyptus oil.

keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 11:57 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Lots of water, pedialyte, or watered down juice as often as possible. No OJ or milk cause that makes it worse. Use saline solution for his nose!! Tylenol or Motrin for a fever. I would stay away from any cold or cough meds at that age (I am still nervous about giving them to my 5yr old!) they ust are not that safe. If he is still sick in a few days I would call the pedi and give them a heads up to see if maybe he has an ear infection or throat issues, to be on the safe side. Just try to let him rest and lots of hugs from mommy help too :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 4:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009