What would you do?

The holidays are coming up and its family time for my family. We usually gather at one persons house for them and that means at least one family is driving 100 or so miles afterward. Part of the family events is usually a lot of heavy drinking. If someone has had a couple too many, would you say something before they drove home? I always think I should and chicken out at the last min. Any suggestions of what to say?
No bashing on the drinking please.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• A friend of mine tkes a 'key collection' at the beginning of any family even. they have to come to her to get them back so if she feels they shouldn't drive she already has the keys. Plus the family knows before hand that they will not get them back if they are still tippsy. They tend to slow down towards the end on their own.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If one or a few of my family members or friends is a little tipsy and need to drive home I will take there keys and they will sleep at my home or I will drive them home myself. Anything can happen and I will not allow someone to live my home or anyones home drunk or tipsy..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I agree with anon. Throw them a pillow and a blanket and tell them to make themselves comfortable because your not drivin. Thats what i told my inlaws lol. They wernt to happy with me at first but they sure did gain respect for me. I wont let people leave my house after they have been drinking. I dont want to be responsiable for it if they got in an accident and i didnt say anything to them before.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 11:39 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Totally agree. God-for-bid if something happened (accident), you would never forgive yourself. Take the keys, or call for someone to pick them up.
    Kathy772

Answer by Kathy772 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I would speak up before they kill themselves or others on the road. Better to be safe then sorry.
    mommorgan

Answer by mommorgan at 11:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• There is never any drinking at any of our family events, so I will never be in that position. However, I would do as the other posters said. Take their keys and make them spend the night. If you know ahead of time they will be drinking and your house is not big enough, you might get a motel room and drive them there. Then they will have to call you to come get them when they sober up to get their car.
    Another idea is to have a basket by the front door for everyone to drop their keys in when they arrive. Lock the basket up in the bedroom or somewhere safe until the next day.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 12:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I think you should say something..why chicken out? What if it was your kid the drunk hits and kills? Last year on New Years some a$$ hole got smashed, left a bar, the bar called the cops. The drunk made it to Taco Bell and managed to order, was so drunk an employee of Taco Bell called 911 also. By the time the cops managed to catch up with him, he had entered the highway going in the wrong direction and hit a mini van head on, killing the wife and all 4 kids..the youngest of whom was only 8 wks old. Only the father survived...and of course the drunk walked away without a scratch. I have NO tollerance for drinking and driving. If you want to get shit faced, I guess that is a personal choice..but when a drunk decides to get behind the wheel of a car it becomes personal to the rest of us! The driver...26 yrs old got life in prison, no hope for parole.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2009