Child bored.... HELP

My child is bored in school and causing trouble in class. Finishes work early and then wants to play. He never gets anything wrong on his work so the teacher can't even make him go back and redo his work. Can't tell him to slow down and pay attention because everything is correct.

Any suggestions on what we can do? I'm leary of moving him up a grade level because I don't want him to be the youngest in class.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Talk to his teacher, the principal, and the school counselor - see what you can come up with together. Chances are they have dealt with this issue before and may have some good ideas, and if not they will at least know you are concerned.

I wouldn't move him up either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Oct. 5, 2009

• This was always me in school too so I feel for him. You should talk to the school like the poster above said. He needs to be in a "gifted" program. Here it's called GATE for gifted and talented education I believe. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and I dont believe in skipping grades either. I was the one who posted about GATE.
    Anonymous

• My kids were both like that. Have him tested for AG.

Answer by missanc at 1:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• What's AG?
    Anonymous

• I skipped 3rd grade and changed schools at the same time so the kids wouldn't realize I was younger - it was great and I actually fit in better with the older kids.

If you could do that I would.. if not though, yeah.. he might never fit in with the kids at the same school who are older. They'd know he was younger and make it hard on him. I'd talk to the school/teacher about making his curriculum harder and get him into the gifted program.
    Anonymous

• Are there any gifted programs in your area? If you are in Chicago, please contact me offlist The Center of Talent Development has lots of great resources for parents of gifted children: http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/

Answer by rkoloms at 11:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2009