repost with more info, what would you do?

What would you do?
The holidays are coming up and its family time for my family. We usually gather at one persons house for them and that means at least one family is driving 100 or so miles afterward. Part of the family events is usually a lot of heavy drinking. If someone has had a couple too many, would you say something before they drove home? I always think I should and chicken out at the last min. Any suggestions of what to say? Wont let me edit the question but I need to add this. This is never in my home, I live far away and stay with either my parents or my sisters for these events, so I cannot offer them a pillow and a blanket, its not my house.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Holidays

• Chances are someone else is thinking the same thing, or will start thinking it once you speak up. This is your family and you want all of you to be there next year. If you are really too timid to say anything when it happens, maybe talk to the host before hand since you know it will be an issue.
    Anonymous

• I agree with PP. However dont be upset if know one listens. They are all adults and will make their own decisions. Just be happy that you tried GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Bring them to a hotel and meet them in the morning for them to get there car. Or you can talk to the persons house that it is and see if there is a place that they can sleep for the night. I would go above and beyond to make sure that they were not getting behind the wheel and driving.

I was the first person that answered the last question I hope this answer helps you more. Have a great day and I hope you don't chicken out this year, What would do if something happened and you chickened out I am not trying to bash you by any means I really am trying to help you with what to do. I have lost 3 friends in drunk driving crashes 2 of them were partys that we were at in high school.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 12:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• yes i always do. How would you feel if they were right there and you could have done something and you didn't. Then they smashed into someone's mom and killed her? I would talk to the host and make sure that they know they are completely legally responsibly for any drunk drivers that leave their house and cause any trouble. Just as a bar is responsible. If there is damage done not only can they sue the driver but the establishment or host they consumed the alcohol at. Maybe talk to them about working out who is going to sleep where or pull together money to get cabs. That way you can avoid trying to be the drinking police and enjoy the party.
    Anonymous

• Technically the persons whos home the drinking takes place at has a legal obligation to stop or prevent an impaired person from driving. Some states actually prosecute people for letting a family member drive after having to much to drink just like bar tenders go to jail for not stopping a drunk either.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 2:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My Aunt is the drunk of the family. No one ever says anything to her. She has been known to physically fist fight people over it and no one wants that around all of the kids ....she has been told if she wants to drink to do it at HER house. She skips many Holidays because she can't have her way anymore. Oh well. She lives hundreds of miles away so no one knows what she's doing. She's single and has no life (and no children thankfully). Drinking is more important than spending Christmas with everyone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Oct. 6, 2009