Typing class for elementary classes

I'm wondering if there are any sites that teach young kids keyboarding. Both my kids, ages 6 and 9, are excellent on the computer. They can go to any site they want, can do google searches, and know how to look on wikipedia for things. Their trouble is that they can't type and it frustrates them to hunt and peck.

Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Their hand are more then likely to small to span the keyboard. Why don't you start with helping them get their fingers on the home row and if they can reach, Mavis Beacon seems to be the best keyboarding program I've come across. It's not just for kids, but is suitable for them. I think my oldest was 11-12 when she started using it.
    Anonymous

• Yes I agree w/the above poster and there are good software programs available as well that make it like a game which is how mine learned. But as far as them going to any site they want and google searching I just want to caution you against that. They are too young and some crazy stuff can accidentally come in in searches! You might want to think about just adding the websites you allow to the "favorites" section of your computer and limiting them to those unless you supervise their navigation. Not trying to judge but I had a bad experience and thought this might save you some grief.
    Anonymous

• Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing
    Anonymous

• lol! I was gonna say Mavis Beacon to! That program used to be expensive. I dunno if it still is though.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I'm surprised they don't teach it in the schools. They teach it here starting in elementary school. Not "formal" instruction, but encouraging kids to use both hands - my kids (8 and 9) have definitely picked up enough that they don't hunt and peck. Starting in middle school they definitely should have keyboarding classes - here they HAVE to pass a keyboarding test before they go to highschool.

Answer by missanc at 1:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Typing Test - Learn2Type.com - learn to type online FREE typing ...

Typing Test - Learn2Type.com - learn to type online FREE typing tutor and typing tests, typing certification.
    www.learn2type.com/
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• FREE ONLINE TYPING COURSE

Free online typing course. Guided lessons to learn step-by-step from the beginning. Learn how to type correctly in just a few hours using all your fingers.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• online free touch typing program | keyboarding tutor | Free Typing ...

online free touch typing program | keyboarding tutor | Free Typing Games ... That is the only way to really be successful when learning to type. ...
    vbruno

• Custom Typing Training - Learn to Type with our Online Typing Tutor

Custom Typing Training is an online typing tutor for individuals, schools, and companies. Students learn to type online through our online typing lessons.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I second the suggestion for Mavis Beacon. You can find it on Ebay for under ten dollars.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2009