Public Schools & Religion

The idea of ALL Religion being removed from public schools has been addressed in this section many times. But I want to know, for those of you who have kids in public school what do you do when they have parties, show movies or have classes that include religious beliefs other than your own?

Many schools have Halloween parties, Christmas Parties or watch related films the last day of that week or before break as a treat to the kids. And since a growing number of people are seeing these (and other celebrations) as belonging to specific religious paths, what do you do when your child is exposed to religious celebrations other than those that you yourself are involved in or agree with??

Do you allow your children to partake or do you pull them out? How do you feel about Children participating in thinks like this?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Keep them separated.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 12:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I thnk its a good way to accept everyones differences and coultures. If they were preaching it would be one thing but i dont see the prob with a christmas party if you dont practice it at home
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 12:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my DDs far from school age, but i dont think i'd have a problem w/ any of it, so long as its not preaching that religion as fact. i think its beneficial to be exposed to others way of life. the only time i'd be upset is if it involved sacrificing an animal or something harmful, but i seriously doubt that would happen.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My daughter is 12 and in public school. As far as holidays like Easter or Christmas, she has had parties at school but they have always been STRICTLY secular - no discussion of jesus, god, resurrection etc. so I have no problem with her participating. She has a spring break or winter break at school, versus easter or christmas vacation. Honestly in the 8 years of public school education she's received, never once has actual religion played a part in any school activity. Even the songs at the holiday concerts have been of the "Frosty the Snowman" and "Let It Snow" variety. I'm in CT though and we yankees tend to mind our own damn business. :) I'm sure it's different elsewhere.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 12:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I agree with Steph.

If you preach to my son, you better watch out for me. I won't have that. But if your educating my son about a different religion, culture, or custom....great. And a party is not preaching, not even so much as educating, just exposing. Which is fine by me. Children need to be exposed, and hopefully taught about all religions and cultures.

I'm agnostic. My son is christian (his chioce, and we support it). None of us are pegan (i think that's what halloween is), but we do halloween activites and dress up anyway.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Our parties are secular. My son gets all his proselytizing from his classmates.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My gs is 8 and in 3rd grade. I am Wiccan, Dh is Christian and gs is a bit of both... and he attends a public school in a very Christian domated area.
    But bc we are now seeing more people move in our area of different ethinc backgrounds our schools have taken it upon themselves to still celebrated all of the Holidays, but with a different twist to include all cultures.
    Our Halloween parties are called a Fall party. Christmas is a Holiday party and during the Christmas season, teachers touch on how others are different and how they celebrate the season. And if there a question he comes home and asked and we answer.
    No one is preaching to the children, but exposing them to diversity and we don't mind that since our gs is going to make his own mind up as to what path/spiritual/religon if any he will take when he is older.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 1:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• In the 10 years that I have had a child in our local public elementary school, religion has only ever come up once.  That was when the Gideon society came to hand out bibles to the grade 5 class (which my daughter was in at the time).  At first they came unannounced and the principal sent them away, telling them to make an appointment.  When they had a date booked, the principal sent a letter home to all the parents with a section at the bottom to fill in if you wanted your child removed from the class.

Why only the grade 5 class?  I have no idea, but my cynical nature tells me it's because they are old enough to understand and young enough to still be impressionable.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My Boys are home schooled and this is one of the reasons why.

Anonymous

• i will let my son know that we do not celebrate the holidays as they are now, but how they originally were. Yule, Samhain, Ostara and the like. He can have fun with his friends at these parties, and watch the movies, but at the end of the day, it is me he will come to, when he has questions.
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 3:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2009