What do I do about my teens smart mouth?

My 14 yr old daughter has to say something smart every time I say anything to her. When I was a kid we just got the back hand. I am soooooo ready to smack her. Any advice?

1usamomof2

Asked by 1usamomof2 at 12:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Either smak her for the smart mouth or start taking away privledges like seeing friends, the internet her cell phone going out and make her do extra chores. Make sure to point out why this is being done and tell her that you demand respect in your home, and when she is paying all the bills and doing all the work she can then treat people with a smart mouth. Untill she is 18 and as long as she lives under your roof, your rules will dominate and her smart mouth will only insure that she never gets anything she wants. Dont let a 14 y.o's smart assness controll you. Your the adult.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• we have boy 13 and girl 9 who if they are snotty get a warning of

"any more and it will be 5 minutes early to bed"
    and if they mouth off and get 5 minutes and then they continue, then I warn that the next will be another 10 minutes early, added on to already 5 minutes
    and then FOLLOW THROUGH with sending them to bed early

if both kids are naughty together, I warn and follow through with "they get to do a chore together'
    usually scrubbing a floor together, once i had them scrub the tub together. i tell them if they want to fight they can do it together while doing a chore

we have taken away the personal hand held electronic game that is SO IMPORTANT to the 13 yr old. we would do phone if they cared about that

i guess take away something that really means a lot to them=it is a kids currency
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I have taken away her phone, her use of the family computer (I dont allow my kids to have their own computers), grounded her, and taken away other things of hers. I am thinking that the only thing left is a good smack in the mouth. The problem these days is everyone wants to call the cops on a parent.
    1usamomof2

Answer by 1usamomof2 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My problem is my grandson,he really think the world owns him something,he is 15,and has a real problem with his mouth. He has his own bedroom in my home,but,he keeps it so junky,like today he wanted a new dresser in the room, I told him to clean the room,and fix the drawers in the dresser,he wanted to scream and holler, I told him, I didn't take disrespect from his mother,so,I know I won't take it from him.

Anonymous

• I would simply ignore her smart mouth. If she demand something you could say, "Excuse me, did you say something?"
    Anonymous