Just curious.....

I just read a question someone asked about sperm living to fertilize an egg after a period (which was like 7 days or something). Which made me wonder, since they say you can still get pregnant if you have intercourse while on your period. Can you get pregnant if you have intercourse 2 days before your period starts and how does that work? I know that you can get pregnant anytime so sorry for being such an idiot! Bash if you want but try to answer if you can...I was just wondering how it worked like that.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Everyones body is different. If the sperm finds the egg even 2 days before your period is supposed to start and send's off the appropriate signals and hormoans then its quite possible to still get preggo even having a light period but it's up to your body. Usually fertalization takes place in the tubes.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You're most fertile 12-14 days after your period. That being said, some women ovulate multiple times during a month and some months are different from others. If you're ovulating, you're fertile and yes, that can happen during your period. So, you can get pregnant at ANY TIME. Sperm typically lives for about 48 hours once inside the woman's body. They tell you to have sex every other day if you're trying to conceive for maximum effectiveness. Sperm can live longer, but I don't think I've ever heard a full 7 days but I could be wrong.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• When i first found out i was pregnant they told me that i was due may 17 and i was 6 weeks when i found out, then i had my sonogram and the doc told me i was actually due may 13 and apparently i got pregnant before the first day of my last period, so i dont know if that answers anything, but its weird..
    melissa78155

Answer by melissa78155 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• for you to get pregnant during your period, you would have to ovulate sometime within 4 or 5 days of your period, be it before or after. most women won't ovulate that close to their period but some must, and that must be why they say that you can get pregnant during your period. :) that's my understanding anyway
    Anonymous

• Women ovulate at different times so some can get pregnant on their period or right after if that's when they ovulate. My mom got pregnant with my little sister 7 years ago when she was on her period and she's 100% sure she did bc she said that was the only time her and my dad had had sex.
    Anonymous

• Wait, wait . . . I'm seeing some misinformation here. You only ovulate ONCE during your cycle. Sperm can live for 5 days INSIDE your body, so you can have sex on a Monday and the egg won't be fertilized until Friday. However, your egg is only able to be fertilized within 24 hours of ovulation. The only way to be certain about ovulation is to chart your basal body temp and check your cervical fluids. And sometimes women spot or have a light period when really they're ovulating, so that could be confusing.

I've done A LOT of research on this. Check out the books Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler (sp?) and Natural Birth Control Made Easy (I can't think of the author) if you want more info.
    veggie_kitty

Answer by veggie_kitty at 10:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2009