Vegetarian meal ideas?

Hello!

We're a family of carniverous beasts I'm afraid, but I try to make us have one vegetarian night a week. However im running short on ideas. The fish we eat doesn't go much further than fishfingers/fishcakes as I cant stand the smell of fish!

Anyone got any wonderful vegetable/pasta recipes they'd love to share? Preferably not something that would be a meat dish (e.g. spag bol) but served with meat substitutes...something completley vegetarian?

Thanks in advance!

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 1:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I love baked zucchini. I just cut a zucchini into chunks and throw in some diced onions and a dab of butter (not much!). I prefer to place all this on a foil and wrap it up. Then bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. It's so yummy! I'll serve it with brown or wild rice with lenitils (for protein).

Be creative!

I'll also make breakfast for dinner sometimes. Eggs with broccoli and spinach, topped with cheese. Whole-grain pancakes with grated zucchini and flaxseed added to it.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I have a ton of recipes (we don't eat meat). Here are our dinners from the last few weeks; send me a message offlist if you would like any recipes:

Week of 10/11
    Sunday – chili
    Monday – not crab cakes, tofu fish sticks, baked sweet potato “fries”
    Tuesday – peanut noodles
    Wednesday – tamale bean pie
    Thursday – Mexican bean and pasta bake
    Friday – breakfast for dinner – pancakes and fruit
    Saturday – pizza (on the grill, weather permitting

Week of 10/4
    Sunday – white chili
    Monday – lentil sloppy joes
    Tuesday – curry
    Wednesday – southwest falafel
    Thursday – zucchini and cheese enchiladas
    Friday – mushroom stroganoff
    Saturday – pot pie

Week of 9/27
    Sunday – Lentil soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
    Monday – not home

Answer by rkoloms at 10:22 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• since our daughter became a vegetarian we make at least one meal a week vegetarian. But I have found you cna replace meat with beans in almost any dish and it still comes out well. I am not a fan of the veggie crumbles.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 12:21 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We like to make bean and cheese tacos (take a can of fat free refried beans, mix a pouch of taco seasoning with 1/4 cup water, mix it into the beans, and heat on medium in a skillet). Heat up corn or flour tortillas on a griddle. Chop lettuce, tomatoes, peppers, onions, avocado. Cut a lime into 8 wedges. Squeeze one wedge into the bean mixture. You can use light sour cream if you want, and smear a small spoon of it onto a tortilla. Top with the bean mixture, a sprinkling of cheese if you wish, the fresh vegetables, and squeeze some lime juice on top. Roll up and eat.

Another one is meatless stir fry. Take 3 cups brocolli, 1 cup sliced carrots, 1 cup snow peas or sugar snap peas, 1 bell pepper (we like to use the red ones), and about 2 cups of shredded cabbage. Heat a tablespoon of sesame oil in a skillet. Toss in the brocolli and carrots, stir fry for about a minute, and then add in the rest of the vegetables. Stir fry...
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:41 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• til almost soft, stirring constantly. Add the cabbage in last, and stir fry another minute or so til the cabbage wilts. In a bowl, combine 2 cups pineapple juice with 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, 1 tbsp soy sauce, and 1 tbsp cornstarch. After you dissolve the cornstarch in the liquids, add the mixture to the pan with the vegetables and stir til it thickens. Serve over brown or white rice.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:43 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• One of my family favorite, especially with kids, is macaroni and vegetables. Vegetables (chopped) are green pepper, celery, zucchini, corn, and tomatoes. You can also add hot dogs chopped up, but optional. Cook the mac. In a separate pan, spray the pan with cooking spray or use a teaspoon of butter. Put the hot dogs, celery, green pepper and zucchini. Simmer for about five minutes. Add the Macaroni, then add the corn and tomatoes. Simmer for another five minutes. Then add the cheese for the macaroni and even sprinkle real cheese over it. The vegetables should be nice and tender. You don't have to add all the vegetables, you can pick and choose.

MzLali

Answer by MzLali at 11:42 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• Definitely roasted veggies....like zucchini, onions, peppers, and tomatoes...make some pasta...save some starchy liquid use lots of parm and toss it all together and use the starchy liquid to help make it kinda saucy....mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Sarahv717

Answer by Sarahv717 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 7, 2009

• I like to go to the library and get good vegetarian cookbooks. I just copy the recipies I liked before I take the book back. :)
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 16, 2009