Christmas Gifts

Since money is past tight this year, and I know we are not the only one, do you think that family would be happy with home made gift baskets this year? I was thinking about things like baked goods, candles, home made cocoa mixes, things like that for gift baskets, any other suggestions to make them special? Is this a good idea? Or would people think we are being cheap?

SuperMomof3kids

Asked by SuperMomof3kids at 1:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Holidays

• You can buy baskets at second hand stores, they always have a ton at Goodwill and other thrift stores, you can line with crinkle paper or tissue paper or look for dish towels and line the basket with a dishtowel as an added gift. ILOVE getting a tin with assorted christmas cookies. my neighbors do that and its nice to have something to offer guests cause I dont bake alot of cookies. My favorites are the 7layer bars and pretzles dipped in white chocolate and fudge. Adding a candle is a nice touch but unneccessary. You could do baked goodies and tie an ornament on the bow as an added touch to the baked goods.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• That's a great idea, and I think I'm stealing it for my inlaws and outer family members :)

Home-made anything is always straight from the heart, can't go wrong there!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my extened fam gets home made gifts about every year, except for the kids
    u can use the clear flat backed marbles to make magnets with pics
    have kids make pic calanders
    get cheap family pics done and put them in a nice looking cheap frame.
    baked goods ect!
    :) i allways do what lil i can for the kids in the fam but i just dont have the means as a single mom to buy expensive stuff for everyone
    i think they will understand and like it :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Homemade things is really the spirit of the holidays. It comes from the heart.

Anonymous

• I love getting homemade gifts, and give mostly homemade gifts myself. I think what you want to do sounds wonderful!!

Happy Holidays!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• you are being cheap - stop celebrating all together- I don't want cookies and candles - blah!
    Anonymous

• Look online for Mix in a Jar recepies. All you need is a few canning jar's, some raffia or rubber bands, some Xmas fabric, and labels.

Here is one example I found w/a pic:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cowboy-Cookie-Mix-in-a-Jar/Detail.aspx
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 10:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• this stupid anon is as annoying as a mosquito in my ear right now. Please go somewhere else and boycott Christmas. You sound like a miserable person.
    I would LOVE to get cookies and candles. And my favorite gifts are always the homemade ones. You are not being cheap, you are being thoughtful since you really dont have to do gifts at all. (I am not saying not to celebrate Christmas though.)
    I am going to make a bunch of different kinds of cookies, granola, scones, biscotti and give everybody coffee since I get it for free working at Starbucks. If I have the money, I will buy them each a couple of clearance mugs with my discount. lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:43 AM on Oct. 7, 2009