Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No way to cook and no heat either, any ideas?

I have been disconnected from my gas company because I wasn't able to pay the entire monthly amount, I have been without it for a month and have been getting by fine, but now in our area it is getting super cold, in the 40's durning the day and will be getting colder this weekend.
We have a space heater in the living room, that helps a little, otherwise we huddle in blankets and warm clothes at home. Any ideas how we can warm up the house or cook easier? My stove is gas, so no way to cook with the stove or oven either.


Asked by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • have you tried calling 211. they can point you in the direction of churches or organizations specifically designed to help you out. and dont listen to the idiots on here. people whove never strggled dont realize you can go to the library for internet. thats what i would do. they know the laws and can put you in touc with social serivces. im guessing if its already cold there you state has some provision where utility companies have to provide service to homes with children (and maybe even pets) during at least the winter months. i know here in CT its between nov and may. good luck

    Answer by treystiredmommy at 9:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • A whole month?........It's time to pay the bill.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Op here.. Yea if I had the money I would pay the bill, I can't afford to pay all of it, so can only pay what I can afford towards it each month, they will not turn it back on until I am caught up.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Come on...go down and apply for HEAP! Or talk to your local social services department. I'm sure they can help you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Can you check freecycle for more space heaters and a toaster oven?
    Also, call the gas company and tell them there are children in the house and its getting cold. Tell them this is all you can afford and ask if there is some type of payment plan you can get on.

    Answer by austinsmama1106 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • I don't know where you live but here in TN it is illegal for companies to disconnect vital utilities, i.e. gas, water, electricity, in homes with small children. I would start by finding out your state laws. If it is illegal in your state then the gas company will need to turn your gas back on. If it is not a law in your state then start contacting, social services, churches, and other organizations in your area. You may also try the link below. You may be able to get help paying the bill. Good luck.


    Answer by JEAmom3 at 1:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • I'm thinking have your INTERNET service disconnected, and terminate your cell phone contracts....that alone should "free up" enough money for what is REALLY important--heat and the ability to cook!

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • contact a local social services agency; they will help you get your utilities back on. Start with the Salvation Army or a local house of worship (mosque, church, synagogue, temple, etc.).

    Answer by rkoloms at 9:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2009