Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I gave my 10 month old son his first banana nut muffin and now he has this rash all over his body including his head, they look like goose bumps I am not sure. Could this be a food reaction or an allergy. Is it ok if he scratches? Someone please help me I don't want to rush him to the hospital or the dr for nothing. He is my first to ever have something like this.

Allergy or not, Take him to the hospital or the Dr. Could he be allergic to what I gave him to eat????? Please I have no clue as to what this mess is.

Answer Question
 
niekitta

Asked by niekitta at 1:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (15)
  • Could be an allergy to the nuts. I'd take him to the ER or Doctor just to make sure.
    IhartU

    Answer by IhartU at 1:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Call the doc...it is an allergy, either to the banana or the nut. They may suggest benedryl or they may want to see him...keep an eye out for breathing problems and no he should not scratch.
    Jademom07

    Answer by Jademom07 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Are the bumps connected and more like splotches? That would be a allergy rash. I would take him into the doctor just to have it checked out.
    Nathskitten

    Answer by Nathskitten at 1:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Call the pediatrician. Theyre probably going to tell you to give him some benadryl... and to "JUST SAY NO TO MUFFINS"...LOL... he probably wont have to go in. But try to get him to stop scratching, the scratches wont go away once the rash is gone:)
    Shyma

    Answer by Shyma at 1:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Has he been exposed to bananas before? What about nuts? What about wheat? All three are big possibilities on the allergy list. If he has had wheat and bananas before the nuts could be the culprit. You need to have him seen. If all you see is the rash make an appointment. If his lips appear swollen or seems to have trouble breathing take him to the ER immediately.
    GrnEyedGrandma

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • he might have a peanut allergy, i suggest you take him to the doctor
    piwife

    Answer by piwife at 1:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • I'm thinking the nuts. Call his doctor and ask if you need to bring him in.
    pagirl71

    Answer by pagirl71 at 1:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • oh hell I'd take him to the ER, what if its a nut allergy and his throat swells shut?!
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • It's definately the nuts. Nuts are HIGHLY allergenic and you're not supposed to give them to children under 2 for that reason... it sensitizes them to it and predisposes them to having nut allergies. He may never grow out of it now.

    Call the ped. Unless he's showing signs of having a hard time breathing it will probably not be serious enough to pay a thousand dollars for an ER visit. The ped will tell you if you need to take him in.
    Ati_13

    Answer by Ati_13 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • I would take him to the doctor just to make sure everything is okay. Its better to be safe than sorry.
    suzzanna

    Answer by suzzanna at 1:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN