Are you a migraine sufferer?

If you get a migraine. What helps you? I've had them for 30 long, life robbing years! Curious if any thing helps or works? Or any home remedies? Also do you get Dizzy like a day or two late because of them? We're jobless so I can't get help! Even when we had some insurance I could never afford any of the meds. prescribed. So I'm hoping you found help, comfort or your cure! I'd be thrilled if you shared your Relief! Thank you in advance for your time & answer!

Angellinda

Asked by Angellinda at 1:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Health

• I get terrible migranes, I get the dizziness, I lose vision and feel like I'm going to faint. I started having them after an abusive relationship where I wa shit in the head a lot. Anyway I take excedrine for migranesand put a headband on my head, I think the tightness helps .... hope this helps you :)
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I meant to put "was hit" sorry about that :(
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 1:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• yes I have had them and there is no relief over the counter that works for me
    I too have no insurance, I called the doctor I saw when I had my child and he has not seen me in two years, explained the headaches, doc prescribed RX, went to pick up and it was over 300 dollars!, of course I could not afford. I called doc office back and they gave me some samples, I also called hospital and talked to someone that said if you have no insurance and are poor enough they have a program for people who fall bewteen the cracks, also some drug companies have programs for between the cracks people for their meds

the med is...treximet

my migranes were always a day before period, but since having a baby, the headaches can last 2-3 days and are much worse, used to handle with over the counter but sin ce baby the over the counter pills do not even touch the pain
    Anonymous

• I am not a sufferer, however my 27 year old daughter has had them since about 12 years old. She has tried a few different meds, but for her, the side effects of the meds are just as bad as the migraine.....giving her 2 issues. She says strong caffeine works. It also helps to know the cause. Her's are 100% stress related. We'd put her through so many tests...allergies, Xrays, MRI's CTscans, etc. nothing.....observation told us it was all stress related. It's her personality, so she'll never be free of them. The only time she takes in caffeine is when she has one. But she'd rather lay down and rest.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I used to get migraines very frequently, but now, not so much (after my hysterectomy, they got better) I still get one from time to time, but not near what I used to. I also used to be a practicing LPN and talked to a lot of docs along the way.....one suggested a combo of naprosyn (the same ingredients in aleve) benadryl and tylenol. I know it sounds like a lot of meds all at once, but the combo really helped me a lot, since they all work differently. So, maybe try 2 aleves, 1000mg of tylenol and 25 to 50 mgs of benadryl. You may get a little sleepy from the benadryl, but sometimes you need to sleep off the migraine anyways. (this was recommended to me by an actual physician)
    SuperMomof3kids

Answer by SuperMomof3kids at 1:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Honesetly, I have talked with people who swear the migraine pills cure their migraines, but I have tried all of them on the market and none have worked for me. The only thing that helps is sleeping it off. My migraines are crippling. My head pounds, I can't be around any light or sound. The room needs to be cold and I must lay still. I get dizzy, can't walk, can't see straight, zero energy, no appetite at all, nauseous, throw up(which makes my head pound even more).
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Oh yeah, and my migraines are stress and light induced. I went through hours upon hours of testing to discover what causes them. The results were stress and bright fluorescent lights or strobe lights for long periods of time.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 1:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I use Excedrin Migraine but when money is tight I take 2 Tylenol (or cheap Acetaminophen) and 3 Ibuprofen and drink a strong cup of coffee.  It helps with the migraine, but if I get a really bad one where I'm throwing up and can't move my head I have to bite the bullet and get a Nubane shot and pay out of pocket (no insurance).  

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 2:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I take 3 - Omega-3's 3 times daily (9 a day) and I control mine. You can not overdose on Omega-3's. If you need jump it to 4 or 5 /3 times a day. Eat more protein,fruits,veggies & drink water.. Good Luck
    Anonymous

• Fioricet or if it is really bad, Fioricet with Codeine.
    Anonymous