Would you let your child walk to and from school if you know...

there is a sex offender that lives behind the school? I refuse! The school sent home a letter last week stating reasons why parents should let their children walk to school...such as exercise, gain independence, etc. Not me...especially because I've seen this man lurking the streets! I wrote on the form my reasons for not allowing my children walk to school. I think they should make this man move away from the school! What do you think?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 1:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• 500 feet from a school.. whaaat? Surely there is plenty of housing say a mile away. I picked a mile because here, if you live more than a mile away from a school you get busing. From the schools perspective living within a mile, you live "close to the school". Why not use the same reasoning for not allowing a sex offender "close to the school". Grandfathered in- I can not even put together a thought on that one!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I thought there already was a law that registered sex offenders could not live within X distance from a school/daycare.

Answer by missanc at 1:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If you know he's there, the police must right? How is he allowed to live that close to a school? I thought there were laws prohibiting them. Perhaps you can ask the police to patrol the area before and after school while kids are walking.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Where do you want him to move to? He has to live somewhere, everyone has to live somewhere. if you're uncomfortable with letting her walk then don't let her walk alone. But the days of running people out of the town because of their wrong doings with your pitchfork and firestick are over.
    Anonymous

• You need to call and report that he lives close to a school, there is NO WAY I would let my kiddo walk by himself to school, although I would walk with him, good exercise as long as they can "bear" to have Mommy tag a long. Please inform someone about this guy, there is a law that they should not be living close to schools!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:47 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• NOPE NOW WAY
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• UGH! That is a shame! I also thought they (Sex Offenders) could not live near a school. That is too bad, since the kids can benefit from walking to/from school. But I agree, that is a risk I just could not stomach!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Where do you want him to move to? He has to live somewhere, everyone has to live somewhere.

How about not near a school, that would be a good start.
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 1:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• "Where do you want him to move to? He has to live somewhere, everyone has to live somewhere"

Maybe he should crawl back under his rock. There are plenty of other places to live besides behind a school and if he finds it tough to find that place, he made the choice to become a sex offender, now he has to live with the consequences.
    Anonymous

Yea....you're really going to find compassion for this guy here.

EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2009