• In the Spotlight:

my son is 19 months old and the doctor said he should be saying about 20 words. well he doesnt, any tips??

he is talking all the time but they are not words, he says mumma dadda bubba no and tickle tickle thats about it.

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is 19 months as well, and our doctor said about 10 words if they were said in context was good. However, tips to get him to speak more. Read every day to him, make sure you repeat the words for items. And talk to him as you are doing things. If you are changing his diaper, talk him through the steps you are taking.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• They don't have to be proper names or terms...does he say any one word that is associated with an act or object? If so, those count as well. my daughter would say woob for lotion.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My dd has been a talker since she was 6 months. Make sure you are talking to him not at him, don't respond to pointing and grunting, make him attempt to say the words, also talk while you are doing things...like when cooking something say, "now I am going to put flour in the bowl to stir it...Can you say flour?"...etc...
    mommy2karsyn

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 1:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My son has a speech delay, we had him evaluated at 2YO but they said that he was just behind, no other issues, so we really started to work with him, lots of reading, lots of talking...instead of 'look at the truck', we'd say 'look at the big red truck', etc... if he wanted juice we'd hold the juice up close to our face and say JUICE (over pronoucing it)... supposedly putting the object by your face so he can see it and see how your mouth is saying it helps...

My son said quite a few words at 2, but still babbled much of the time...he wouldn't mimick words either, if we asked him to say "cat" he'd say "no" lol... and that went on for months, I was really worried that it wasn't going to improve, then all of a sudden out of the clear blue sky one day he just started mimicking anything we told him and his vocabulary exploded, that was just in the last month or so. Very exciting and he is so proud of himself.

cont...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If you have any quesitons on the evaluation process or anything like that please let me know...good luck =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If you're concerned, have him tested by your state's Early Intervention (or equivalent program). Your doctor should be able to point you in the right direction or you can find the information on your state's web site. My son started it at 18 months and has made wonderful progress. If nothing else, during the evaluation they can provide helpful suggestions on getting him talking. Our speech therapist also recommended the Baby Babble dvds. They were cute and taught basic signing which came in handy until he started talking. You might also try having him look at you when you talk to help him "see" as well as hear speech (a recommendation of our therpist).
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• When you know he wants something make him ask for it or don't give it to him and after a while of not getting what he wants he will start to use words. Example if he wants a drink say you need to say drink please and momma will get you a drink. Yes at meal times make sure he has a drink but if he drinks it all and wants more tell him to say drink please.
    Tdaycare6678

Answer by Tdaycare6678 at 2:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• thanks everyone, those are very helpful answers ~
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My daughter's speech was limited as well. I did contact Early Intervention, as well as, contact CHOP (children's hospital of Pennsyvania). She had chronic ear infections and as a result had a temporary hearing loss. The Dr. said that b/c of the ear infections what she was 'hearing' sounded muffled similar to hearing something underwater. This, in turn affected her speech. She had tubes put in, speech therapy through Early Intervention and now continues to receive speech while in PreSchool (after the age of 3 the school system is responsible for providing services)...She will be reevaluated upon entering Kindergarten...but the progress is incredible...Best of luck
    tickersmom

Answer by tickersmom at 2:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my youngest wouldn't talk either. hers was a stubborn thing (why talk when everyone knows what my grunts mean) frustrating to no end.

I stopped answering the grunts and encouraged words. describe everything you do and give him. its a lot of talking and seems silly but works.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:40 PM on Oct. 5, 2009