do all kids have to get chicken pox these days? I never had them when i was a kid and im terrified of putting my son in a daycare in case he gets it and gives it to me? whats should i do?

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 2:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to your doc about it. You can be tested for the immunity (as it's possible you did have it and were asymptomatic) and if you don't have immunity you can discuss the risks of getting it as an adult vs the risks of the vaccine as an adult and decide what to do from there.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Before they are allowed in school the must be have been given the vaccine for the chicken pox. That is why no kids get it anymore, I had it when I was young, and it is like a mild flu although serious in some, check with your doc, I bet your kiddo has already had the shot!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• yes he had the vaccine already. but i never have, and i also heard its very common to get chicken pox even with the vaccine?
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Ask your doctor if you can get vaccinated. You DON'T want to get chickenpox as an adult--it's much more serious, then.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 2:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• not really, never heard of it, you could catch it anyway from adults that have been exposed to it as well, don't stress! I personally believe that the chicken pox vaccine is kind of overkill, but no choice as far as what the law requires, if you do get it, strep throat was way worse!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I can appreciate your concern. I never had it as a child and got it as an adult. How I could have had three brothers and none of us ever got it as children is beyond me! (All but one of us got it as an adult.) Don't stress too much about getting it as an adult. Because of the vaccine, you're less likely to be exposed anyway. Also, should you get it (or suspect you have it), call your doctor immediately as there are medications that can significantly reduce the course of the illness and reduce the chance of complications. I would also look into the vaccine for yourself (no idea if it's given to adults..) but just because it CAN be more serious for adults, doesn't mean it WILL be..
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• our docter told us 80% of people get the chickan poxs and never know it becouse they only break out with one or two spots.my hubby says he never had any either and he is 34. id be worried he would catch something else from daycare
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2009