Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's threatening to take my daughter from me if I make him pay childsupport.

My baby's father & I just broke up. I'm in my new place now, I have my 1 yr old who i have with him & i also hav a 9 yr old frm previous relationship. I have child support order for my 9 yr old but he's never paid any of it. Anyway, now I've ended things with my 1yr old's father & he says he will pay for her childcare (his grandma keeps her for us & only charges us $60/week. So that will come out to be $240/month that he'd pay. But thats ALL he wants to pay. Just $240/month. He says he doesn't want childsupport taken out of his paycheck every month & that if i file it against him, he'll go after me for joint or full custody so he wont have to pay anything. Is $240 reasonable? If i filed it against him, I know he'd have to pay alot more than that because of how much he earns. & what about if she starts going to a regular daycare, their rates are alot highter than $60/wk. Please give me advice.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • File in court, don't let him bully you into not doing so, get the order before he has a chance to get a new honey and make more kids. It would be very difficult for him to get full custody of your daughter unless you are unfit in some way. You owe this to your little one to do this, she needs more than $240 per month, don't worry, he will have to pay up!

    Answer by kimigogo at 2:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • it all depends on a whole bunch of factors
    what state are you in
    how much does he make, how much do you make
    does he pay other child support
    etc etc etc

    I think you need to call a local agency that can give you facts on child spoort with the facts of your situation

    what I do know is do not let him bully you into not getting support for your child

    good luck

    Answer by boredmom44 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • i would go after him for child support,expasialy if u can get more for ur baby. he cant get ur baby,the most he can get is weekends or to were the baby gets to spend nights with him.daycares around here charge 60 a week or if u only need a day or 2 15bucks a day.good luck and f**k him.

    Answer by angelairelan at 2:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • If you chose to file for support, also make sure that you file for full physical and legal custody. I would also remind that "loving father" that he will be paying a lot more than what you would get if he has even joint custody because he would be responsible for feeding and clothing baby at least part of the time. He is likely just using this as a bully tactic to scare you into what he wants, not what is best for his child.

    Answer by balagan_imma at 2:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Put that money in a college trust fund for her.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Even if he gets joint custody, he'll still have to pay child support. Don't let him bully you. He's trying to get out of paying because he knows you haven't gone after your nine year olds dad for it. If you go to court it will be taken out of his check and he'll have no choice. He doesn't want that and he won't pay the sixty a week at all.

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • If he doesn't want to help take care of her, he needs to sign away his rights. Don't let him bully you. Call an agency and find out what you can do and what he can really do, not just threaten.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • He would have to prove you are an unfit mother to get full custody. If you're not, don't worry about it and file for child support.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.