my son (19 mos) wont let me read to him?

I try to read to him many times throughout the day and at bedtime. he is completely uninterested and when he gets close to the book all he wants is to turn the pages himself and run off with the book. did anyone else have this problem?

Rebecca25

Asked by Rebecca25 at 2:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm in the same boat with my 2 1/2 yr old. he likes to 'read" the books himself but seldom sits for me to read to him. I keep trying! Try encouraging him to "read" the book to you or point things out in the book to keep him interested until he gets back to letting you read to him.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• good im glad its not just my son :)
    Rebecca25

Answer by Rebecca25 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• at that age all kids wanna do stuff themselves.i think the best type of books for them are the touch and feel books.this way they can interact and feel like there doing something instead of just sittin ther listening.
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 2:14 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• my kids didn't like me reading to them either.

but it didn't mean they weren't interested. my older 2 are voracious readers - youngest is 3, and interested in the pictures.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My son was the same way!!! I would just let him hold it and flip thru it with him. My DD's on the other hand, LOVE me to read to them!! Kids are funny :)
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 4:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My LO knows that there are books she gets to carry around and "read" herself. There are others she knows that Mommy reads. My LO likes to read and I like to read to her. I just need new books b/c I can't read the same ones a hundred times. LOL
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2009