He's threatening to take my daughter away if I make him pay child support.

My baby's father & I just broke up. I'm in my new place now, I have my 1 yr old who i have with him & i also hav a 9 yr old frm previous relationship. I have child support order for my 9 yr old but her father has never paid any of it. Anyway, now I've ended things with my 1yr old's father & he says he will pay for her childcare (his grandma keeps her for us & only charges us $60/week.) So that will come out to be $240/month that he'd pay. But thats ALL he wants to pay. Just $240/month. He says he doesn't want childsupport taken out of his paycheck every month & that if i file it against him, he'll go after me for joint or full custody so he wont have to pay anything. Is $240 reasonable? If i filed it against him, I know he'd have to pay alot more than that because of how much he earns. & what about if she starts going to a regular daycare, their rates are alot highter than $60/wk. Please give me advice.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• news flash, even if he gets joint custody he still has to pay support, file for child support
    also go to the courts file for a custody and visitaion , and for temporary custody until the hearing so he cant do anything
    dont let him bully you, this is your child that needs supporting, and it costs money to raise kids
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 2:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You'd have to be a really horrible mom for the courts to take your child away 99 out 100 times the judge will rule for the mom to keep the child. My ex said the same thing and I still filed for child support and won. He was bluffing, after I won he didn't file for anything! He just moaned and groaned and is paying me.
    Shyma

Answer by Shyma at 2:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Tell him to kiss your @ss. If he didn't want to pay he shouldn't have played. Too late now. Go after him for child support and document what he said. If there turns out to be a custody fight, let your lawyer and judge know that he tried that. There is NO WAY he will be able to get full custody unless you were abusive towards the child.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Even if he has joint custudy he will still have to pay child support or id would defanently make him pay it
    Anonymous

• do go for the child support and see if you can have a recording of him threatening you (w/o his knowing of course) it can be your secret weapon just in case things get nasty.

Answer by older at 2:16 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• A child support order will pretty much guarantee help every month. My child support for my son was about $240/mo-- they determine based on income. This way, you don't have to ask him for it or negotiate. Unless you do drugs or abuse your child, the court will not take your daughter from you. However, if you think he would really follow through, then you need to be a glowing example of an awesome parent, because lawyers can get custody awarded in tricky ways
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 2:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• He's just trying to scare you. You need to go for the child support, then it's in writing, and he can't decide if or when he pays it....what about when your child goes to school? He can't take your child from you for no reason. He may get joint custody, but that has nothing to do with child support. Just go ahead and do it.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• well joint custoday is better for the child... but tell him if he has sole custody of her, he will be paying for almost everything instead of just child support...
    but for average income i think child support is 300-500 a month per a child.. though i am not sure........ so 240 is well below the minimum..
    ask if hell settly on a higher amount.
    jlouise03

Answer by jlouise03 at 5:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2009