How can I make my ex-husband realize he is still an important part of my son's life?

He thinks that just bc he won't see him everyday my 18 month old is going to forget him and he won't need him anymore.I told him he can come see him whenever he wants and he can call him every night. What else can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Nothing. that is his decision to think he's not an important part of his son's life. It sounds like he's trying to manipulate you in order to make you feel guilty for leaving him.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Just keep encouraging the relationship. It is important to your son to have his father involved in his life. Even sometimes let your son call him just to hear his voice. You could even make it part of your bedtime routine to call daddy and say goodnight. Your doing the right thing by offering your son to his daddy whenever he wants him. A child does need both his parents whenever possible.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• OP- he is not trying to manipulate me. It was a mutual decision to separate.
    Anonymous

• You can't convince him. Only he can find the value in the relationship that he has with his child and make it the best relationship it can be. The more he cries to you about it the more he's making your responsible for it. It's been done for decades. Dads do it, Moms do it and he can do it, but it's all up to him.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 3:17 PM on Oct. 5, 2009