Fun things to do for small dogs in an apartment.

My two small dogs, Dachshund and Pekingese live with us. They did live with my mom in their backyard so they are used to living outside! I need fun things to do with them so they aren't so bored and sleepy! We have toys and we play fetch and we do go for long walks but is there anything else to do in an apartment to keep them enjoying things?

PeytonsMom21109

Asked by PeytonsMom21109 at 2:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pets

• I don't know why but like children, dogs find amusement in cardboard forts and tunnels. I suggest making cardboard tunnels or a maze with a treat at the end. Also make sure you are taking time to practice basic obedience and training. Maybe try teaching the dogs a new trick.
    Lazor lights? My sisters cat loves it.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 10:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It sounds like they are fine. If a dog is walked daily and gets to play frisbee, I would think they would be sleepy. You may be seeing a difference becuase they are inside, and they can relax. Outside dogs hear everything and they may have been reacting to all that stimulus and now they are inside and can chill. It is awesome you are so concerned, those are lucky dogs.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:10 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• It sounds like you are doing everything right. Dogs are naturally sleepy because they hear everything and don't sleep long periods like we do. Have you ever watched them nap? Their ears are constantly moving.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 8:17 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Try those toys that drop bits of food and treats. make a pile of blankets for them to burrow through (dachshunds are burrowing dogs) with a treat inside somewhere. Take them on walks in different places so they can smell new smells.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:25 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Thanks everyone! I have just felt so bad because I feel like they are bored! But your right.. They NEVER slept outside because every 30 minutes all the dogs in the neighborhood were going crazy! I have tons of blankets for the dachshund and that keeps her occupied alot of the time, but I haven't thought about making small tunnels or anything! And they LOVE the lazer but I can't find anywhere that sells them. I might have to go to office depot or something! So thanks!! :)
    PeytonsMom21109

Answer by PeytonsMom21109 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 6, 2009