Who wants to get their panties in a bunch over the ACLU?

Boy have I got a question for you! :) Seriously, I'm looking for opinions on this article.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/10/05/supreme.court.veterans.cross/index.html

Basically, a vet's organization erected a WWII memorial back in the 30s in the shape of a cross in Mojave Nat'l Park. Since it's federal land, someone is taking it to the courts (Supreme, to be specific). I haven't decided how I feel about this yet. Thoughts?

deadheadjen

Asked by deadheadjen at 2:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Grrrr! Damn link didn't do the linky thing. Sorry!
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• it was 75 years ago, why are the bitching now? too many weirdos looking too much into having a cross there, as a christian we have to "tolerate" other religions but they can't do the same? it's sad really
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I saw this on CNN or some news show a week or two ago. They were talking to the guy that had been the caretaker forever...

I think it's pathetic... Especially since the man offered up acres of his land to the govt. in exchange for that one little plot of land it's on so that it would be on "private" land & he could continue caring for it.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Meh. Doesn't bother me. If they came and tried to erect a cross memorial on my lawn, though, you best bet I'd be getting my daughter to drool on it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 2:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• The only thing that got me is that the article said that a request had been submitted for a Buddhist shrine not far from that site and the request was rejected.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Hit the answer button too quickly...lol

Anyway, I was onboard with the whole "well that's just silly" thing until I saw they rejected the buddhist's request. I'm all about the "what's ok for one should be ok for all". I wonder why that claim was rejected? Seriously, I'm not being sarcastic or anything...I wonder if there was some other reason it wasn't ok? I'd like to believe that they'd give just as much respect to another belief as a mainstream one but the gov't isn't exactly known for that sort of thing. *shrug* I dunno. First I saw of this article and I wanted opinions I guess.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 2:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I can't imagine how much money has been wasted over this.

Can't they just move the monument off federal grounds?
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:58 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It's a violation of the 1st amendment separation of church and state, that's why. Like it or not, those 70 years of christian privilege is over with and there's going to be a lot more of this kind of thing to come. A wiccan soldier died in the Gulf War and his family had to fight the christian elitests to get his religious pentacle symbol put on his gravestone. Talk about refusal to tolerate another religious belief! What goes around comes around.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 3:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Gee, I hope nobody's told them the cemetery at Normandy is on American Land.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• witchqueen - It's a violation of the 1st amendment separation of church and state, that's why. Like it or not, those 70 years of christian privilege is over with and there's going to be a lot more of this kind of thing to come. A wiccan soldier died in the Gulf War and his family had to fight the christian elitests to get his religious pentacle symbol put on his gravestone. Talk about refusal to tolerate another religious belief! What goes around comes around.

~~~
    This. Not all veterans are christians. Even in the long-ago wars, there were non-christian American soldiers. They deserve representation and acknowledgment, too; not being glossed over and ignored by christians who think it is all about them and them alone.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 4:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009