My mom interfering with breastfeeding...

Maybe this isn't really a Q, but I would like some opinions and such. I feel very strongly about breastfeeding. (i'm due 10/23) I'm going to try very hard to do this, I know some people have trouble or get discouraged. Well eventually I will need to start pumping because I have to go back to work, my mom will have him while I'm at work. Everything I've read says to indroduce the bottle between 2-4weeks old. I'm worried she will nag me so much and he'll end up getting the bottle too early. I don't really know what else to say to her about how important this is to me.

mandielynn23

Asked by mandielynn23 at 2:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOu need to have "the talk" to your Mother before this baby comes. The talk needs to go something like this...YOU are Mom, NOT her and that she had her chance and this is what you want for your baby etc.

You need to nurse 3-4 weeksa solid before introducing to the bottle. You will also need a good pump while you are at work. You need to pump before you go back to work so you have lots frozen.
    Honestly I would post this in a breastfeeding group too.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• btw~i'm strongly against the use of formula unless it's medically necesary. i don't want him to refuse the breast either.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• ask her for support,its only hard the first few months(3) it seems like the baby isnt getting enough but they are getting plenty,they will want to nurse every half hour to an hour(i think thats why alot of moms think they aint producing enough and give up)u will need all the support u can get. just tell her mom this is how im going to do it,i dont want baby to get the bottle yet.just keep talking to her on ur plans espacialy when u go back to work.i wish u all the luck.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:31 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Just sit down with your Mom and explain it to her like you jsut did to us.
    mommyofJames08

Answer by mommyofJames08 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• if he refuses try pumping a little befor u feed him,or try cuping ur breast into a cone shape to fit his mouth better. the nurses in the hospital keep trying to give my baby formula and they tried keeping her in the nursary becouse she was the only baby there,i was pissed,they was bored and didnt want to give me my baby.crazy huh.also make sure lil man dont get a pacy right away either it will mess up with the sucking
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• First, when are you going back to work...I wouldn't introduce a bottle until 2 weeks prior to going back...As for your mom...she is the Grandma, NOT the mom...you will do what's best for your child and make sure that she understands who is the MOM here. You are the caregiver and the parent...she needs to respect that boundary. Let her know that you will always appreciate her views and opinions but will not always take them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:38 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Tell her that if he gets the bottle any earlier, he'll refuse the breast and you'll dry up. Tell her that bf babies have a higher IQ than formula-fed and that it'll help his body fight infections. Tell her formula doesn't have all the nutrients as in bm. Tell her to talk to other grandmothers whose daughter/ in-laws bf.

My mother learned about bf thru my SIL, then my sis, now me. Just think (if u have younger siblings or SIL's who wish to nurse), ur making it easier for them in the long run. Mom was trained one way, so now u gotta re-train her LOL!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 2:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2009