How can I teach my kids to be color blind!?!?!

We live in a predominantly white, rural area. There are a few black families, and my son's best friend is black. I am not a racist and have always taught my children that the color of someone's skin doesn't matter. We are all people and should all be treated the same. My DS, DSS and their cousin are all on the same football team. My DS doesn't like this one boy because he's always "running his mouth" to him and throwing cheap shots while they are practicing. He just happens to be black. Well.... his cousin talks in this jibberish language. Just always saying things that don't make sense to be silly. For the past couple months everyone has been "ape", and he called the kid my boy doesn't like "ape". Has nothing to do with him being black, but now the director or the football league (also black) is all pissed off and pulling the race card saying that we are a racist family and ready to throw our kids out of the league. (cont)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• how do I teach my kids that color doesn't matter when it so obviously does?
    Anonymous

• expalin to him he has to watch what he calls people becouse they will take it the wrong way.tell him not to call anyone names he wouldnt want someone to call him
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Oh, we've had a huge talk and they are not allowed to say the word "ape" ever again. In any context. I told my son he needs to figure out a way to be friends with this kid because I'm not going to be labeled like that because he can't get along with someone. The thing is, I'm going to take that back. I know if someone told me I HAD to be friends with someone I couldn't stand, it would only make me hate them more. I'm going to tell him that if he has issues with this kid he is to go directly to the coach. And I'm going to ask the coach, who is a long time family friend, to keep a closer eye on them.
    Anonymous

• I'm pretty sure that the word ape is directed toward black people; just as cracker is to white people.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• how else would the kids know what ape means????? it is taught.. not saying u did it but you need to correct it.. cause it will cause problems in the future!
    Linsigirl26

Answer by Linsigirl26 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My daughter's school looks like the United Nations. she truly does not notice color or ethnicity. We are Jewish and her locker partner is Palestinian.

So I guess that my solution is to move.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2009