What do you do if you get pregnant and don't carry health insurance... any ideas??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Apply for Medicaid! 9 times out of 10 you can receive it if you're pregnant depending on income of course. This happened to me twice. With my first son we did medicaid all the way. With my second, I paid 2800 dollars to the doctor paid out over 9 months and then got emergency medicaid in the hospital to cover all the hospital stay. It's doable trust me. Medical bills can always be paid out over long periods of time.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You can apply for the state insurance/Medicaid, pay out-of-pocket, or have an unassisted pregnancy & birth.
    Are you uninsured because of financial reasons?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• go to the dept of human services and apply for medicaid, you can apply for foodstamps and wic too if you need it. even if you dont think you'll qualify it's worth a try, you won't get in trouble for applying if you end up not qualifying.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 2:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Apply for medicaid...alot of time you can search for the website on google...also talk to baby your baby, which is short term insurance while you wait for medicaid.
    ormjjen

Answer by ormjjen at 2:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• you could find a homebirth midwife you will provide all of your care including prenatal appointments and attending your birth for anywhere between 2,000 and 5,000. of course then if you do have a complication, you will have to transfer care, and you could end up owing a lot. but imo, the great majority of births would do great at home with a midwife! :)
    Anonymous

• Apply for medicaid. You can get it in most states pretty much regardless of income if you are pregnant.

We are having a homebirth with a midwife but I still made sure to get insurance (medicaid). It covers a lot of the testing, and more important if there are unforseen complications, we won't end up tens of thousands of dollars in debt for the hospital bills.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I got state insurance because we didn't have any at all due to financial issues. Lots of women frown on it.. but it's your and your babies health that matters now. Anything pregnancy related was covered completely. With mine I could get my teeth cleaned and everything (like they suggest you do once during pregnancy) and it was all covered. It helped alot! Good luck!
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 11:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I used the state insurance. I didn't have a job with my first and was trying to miscarry so I applied. The second time, we has just moved back from Texas and I applied again and then found out I has having twins after trying to miscarry. The last time I applied again.

palexander

Answer by palexander at 11:56 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• medicaid!!!! you can't beat a 2 dollar copay.
    SammyJoB

Answer by SammyJoB at 11:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2009