New Dog!!! how do we proceed with caution?

We decided to rescue a dog. We went to the SPCA and fell in love with a sweetheart there. She is 3 yrs old, very sweet, calm, and trained. She was seized and has no bite history.We took her into the play yard and she let my babies love on her and pet her. Another dog in the next play yard was being very aggresive to her and she wanted to to play at first and then walked away. The two most important things for me were that she 1.) Be great with kids. 2.) Behaved with other animals. My heart tells me we got a good dog but I'm still scared. It scares me to think I am bringing an unknown dog with a history I'm not 100% sure of into my home around my 2 and 4 yr old and soon an infant. I hear and know that alot of these dogs are wonderful pets and great for familes but I'm still scared to death. I have a good feeling about her but that's not worth a grain of salt. She deserves a chance.

PhatAttack

Asked by PhatAttack at 2:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pets

• I'm sure it will be fine. I have an adopted dog as well and it does take time to adjust. Time for you to trust them and for them to trust you. I have had my dog for over a year now and I still don't trust her at times.
    Try to set up a place where the dog can go to be alone. That is really important. Also, make sure that for a while, you kennel the dog if you can't supervise it with the kids. So if you are making dinner, put the dog in the kennel, or chain it up outside. That way, you don't have to worry about something going wrong.
    And don't think that it is somehow hurting the dog to do this. It will be more than grateful that you are feeding it and giving it a good home.
    Also, since she is SO thin, it was recommended to me by my vet and the humane society to mix scrambled eggs in with the dry dog food at meal time. They are high in fat and since winter is coming, it will need that fat!

Good luck!
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 8:15 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Couldn't you find her another home if things dont work out? How are you going to know if its going to work out unless you give it a try? You wont. You'll have this fear with any pet you try to bring into the family.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If she's from the SPCA then they should have been evaluated. Did they mention that when you went in? Things uou need to consider:

Is she food aggressive (will she snarl or snap if a hand is put near her or her food bowl?), toy aggressive? (same problem with toys). Do you have any other animals at home? Any cats or dogs? Any gerbils that play in those clear plastic balls? You want to check her prey drive if you do. How does she walk on a leash? Before you bring her home you need to get these answered so you don't have any surprises. Good luck! I have a rescue and she's an incredible dog.
    Anonymous

• She is very well trained. I have no other animals. I am very willing to give her a shot but she's been starved and is bone thin and is still 55 pounds. She could put a hurting on us big time. So yea , between her size and the media hype that scares the hell outta me I'm just a bit nervous. Since she is a pit they have to pass those tests or they are put down instantly. I figured i would make the kids leave her alone until she adjusts and never leave my boys with her alone until we know her well. i'm just not sure what else...
    PhatAttack

Answer by PhatAttack at 2:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• advice on a pit as a owner, you can always tell when a pit is going to bite...when they stop wagging their tail or when the tail falls down and doesnt move..pits are not all bad dogs it depends on how they are raised and loved..i have never had a problem with mine but i do know thats a sign they are going to bite..good luck and congrats on adopting an angel i hope she brings love and joy to your kids...
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• First thing with your kids is to teach them Doggies etiquette. Please don't believe all the media hype, this is YOUR dog not the others in the news. Dog by dog.
    For the record, as a kid I was attacked by two dogs, one was a Yorkie (8 stitches in my face)
    and a cocker spaniel, (10 in my leg) both were just snippy dogs, that got carried away. But just to prove a point, I also spent 6 years with our neighbors pit, and he never so much as even knocked into me by accident.
    If you are really concerned, maybe invest in some extra training for your family and the dog with a behaviorist.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 3:21 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• watch the show The Dog Whisperer on the dicvory channel. Cesar Milan has many good tips for bringing a new dog into the house.

Walk the dog at least twice a day as the dog is by your side, not pulling you down the street.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• IMO it doesn't sound like you thought this all though. You stated: "scares me to think I am bringing an unknown dog with a history I'm not 100% sure of into my home around my 2 and 4 yr old and soon an infant."
    I think that unless you 100% sure you can take a dog and a soon to come newborn, I would advise waiting until your fears go away. Please consider waiting. You don't know how the dog will react to the baby crying, What if your trying to prepare a baby bottle in the kitchen and your other children and the dog are in a different room? Kids and dogs should never be left in a room together unattended.
    You are going to have your hands full. Take time to enjoy your new baby with your family first.
    Mama_Kimmy

Answer by Mama_Kimmy at 11:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Get her into the routine of how things are going to be right away no special treatment just cause she is new. I wouldn't leave her unsupervised with the kids until you are 100% about her. She does sound like a great dog. Enjoy her and love her and she will pay you back ten fold. Every dog I have ever had was a rescue. No regrets.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:57 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Thank you for all the responses! The new baby will not be mine which I didn't specify. My cousin rents our basement out and she is pregnant. So that's where the infant come in.
    These answers confirmed what I was thinking was good and gave me some other thoughts. I forgot about Cesear Milan!
    PhatAttack

Answer by PhatAttack at 8:16 AM on Oct. 6, 2009