Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need help understanding the Financial process of marrying into the military...

When my Husband and I got married the first thing we did was get all the paperwork filled out. The next day he got deployed... I wasnt able to get my military ID card because I didnt have my birth certificate, which also means I dont have Deers. I was wondering that being that we got all the other paper work taken care of, when my husband gets his paychecks will they include the Seperation pay, base housing and the food pay, or is that something I need to do?

Answer Question

Asked by Mrs.Abraham at 2:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • If you have a copy of his orders and your marriage certificate, then you should be able to enroll in Deers and get your ID card. As far as the pay goes, he will need to take care of that. Does he have a copy of the marriage certificate? If not then he will need it. It may take a few weeks to get everything set up. As far as housing, are you living on post or off post? I am assuming off post. If so then was your husband able to get a copy of his lease/mortgage. If not then he will need a copy of that to receive BAH. Separation pay will not go into effect until he has been deployed for 30 days.Anyways, it may take a few paychecks for all of this to reflect on his LES (leave and earnings statement aka paycheck), but once the paperwork is in then they will process it and pay back-pay from the date that you were married.


    Answer by JeremysMom at 5:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • You'll be able to view all that (seperation pay, base housing and the food pay) on myPay online.  Just to let you know that food pay is just for the active duty member. 

    Another useful website is here


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Oh, forgot to mention that myPay is where his LES (Leave and Earnings Statement) is locatedt.


    Answer by Anonymous at 6:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

  • Congratulations. Get your id and on Deers asap, it will make life easier. The first answer has it on the money. Good luck, enjoy learning all the in and outs. I recommend going to the BX (walmart) or commissary (grocery store) first thing on the 1 and 15 (pay days) or avoid them all together. Good luck to you and it will get squared away soon.


    Answer by DevilInPigtails at 7:54 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.