Why do you feel soy milk is bad for you?

Soy milk is a plant-based milk without the added chemicals etc that has alot of health benefits

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I love soy milk. I do believe that like everything else, modernation is the key.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 2:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Organic milk doesn't come with the chemicals. Also, certain types of soymilk have more calories and more fats in them than one percent or skim milks. I have tried soymilk once and didn't like the taste of it, that's why I don't drink it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• As long as the soymilk is organic (or at least made from non-GMO soy), it is good for you. Most Americans eat a lot more soy (of very poor quality) in meat and food additive, than the average vegetarian.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I put my daughter on Soy Milk at 1 year because she didn't react very well to Cows Milk. At the time, I felt really good about it - you can get the organic variety, enriched with omega 3s, DHA...it has less fat, less cholesterol and more vitamin D and more calcium than Cow's Milk. Plus, they have convenient little juice boxes that don't require refrigeration for on the go mom's. However, more recently I've read a few studies regarding the hormones in Soy. It would seem that there is a hormone that functions very much like estrogen in soy milk and that an adult drinking 2 cups a day can experience menstrual cycle shifts because of it. An over abundance of any hormone doesn't seem like a great idea to me. So, I haven't taken her off of soy completely...just cut down to half soy and half cows milk. It works for us for now. I asked my doctor about it and he said you can get everything you get from milk from other sources..
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• ...and not to worry too much about getting it all from milk. My daughter has recently become a finicky eater though and I'm glad she still drinks her milk consistently...some days its the only really great nutrition she gets. =)
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• I just don't like the taste of soy milk. I am on a dairy free diet but my kids drink a lot of milk. For them, I prefer to buy 2% organic milk. There is no added hormones or antibiotics in the organic milk, and I don't buy whole, I buy 2%, and they love it. We tried soy milk when we were at my parents house and none of us liked it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:35 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• i don't know about that, i just don't like the taste of it.
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Soy Bean anything makes me want to barf lol. There's no way around that.
    ArmyGal

Answer by ArmyGal at 11:01 AM on Oct. 7, 2009