Teenage babysitter...

I remember when I babysat and the kids went to bed, I always picked up the mess we made so the parents didn't have to when they got home. I got pennies in pay. I hire a teenager to come babysit and pay ALOT and come home to a trashed house. Do your sitters pick up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• I am a nanny and I ALWAYS make sure the house is spotless when I leave. I ALWAYS try to leave it cleaner than when I came into it. For instance today I swept all tile areas and mopped (including the kitchen dining room all three entry ways and all three bathrooms) I vacuumed two staircases two family rooms one hall and a bedroom. I dusted all the woodwork as well as all wooden furniture, unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher and washed folded and put away two loads of laundry. I get paid $6.25 an hour for two children under the age of 5 (but I do have the luxury of bringing my one year old with me) If you sitter isnt meeting your expectations post an add on craigslist and find someone who does. Why do I single handedly maintain my employers household for only $6.25 an hour? I respect my employer and want to be needed. I want her to be able to spend more time with her kids and less time cleaning a sitter who has both cont
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• you and your child's best interest in mind will not only clean up any mess they made but they will go above and beyond to make your life easier and show you how much they appreciate you employing them. Kick her to the curb and find someone worthy of your pay.
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 3:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• When I babysat I always picked up the house no matter what, I figured the parents probably didn't want to come home to a trashed house, plus its respectful... Whom ever i have watch my daughter normally cleans the mess that she made.
    Anonymous

• If you haven't told the sitter that's what you want her to do than she doesn't know to do it. Why is it her job to clean up after your kid?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• SaraP1989
    Because she is being paid to watch the kids. Therefore if she or any of the children make a mess on her watch she should pick it up. Now to clean a mess that was not made by her or kids or a mess that was already there, no that is not her job. It is just common sense...to know that you are supposed to clean up a mess you or the kids made while you are babysitting.
    JustPlainOlMOM

Answer by JustPlainOlMOM at 3:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Have you explained to her the complete scope of her duties? Have you told her you expect her to clean up after the kids? Does she know what they are expected to clean up or put away? If you haven't outlined her responsibilities then you need to. If you have and she isn't holding up her end of the bargain then let her know and give her the option to "clean it up" or move along.
    KATEISME

Answer by KATEISME at 3:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I would if it was reasonable. Like if there were toys in the livingroom when I got there, I assumed it was ok for the kid to leave toys there. And if I had to make food and there were a bunch of dishes on the counter, I didn't wash the dishes, but if it was spotless then I did. Also, if the dishwasher was full and clean, I never tried to put the dishes away because a lot of people are anal about where their dishes go.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Teens these days don't think like teens used to! I'm not much older then teens but when i used to babysit, I would clean up before I left. If you want your babysitter to do some light cleaning, I would include it in the job description, so anyone that calls you for the job will know that's what the babysitting includes. I also used to bathe the kids if the moms brought them to me really early in the morning and they didn't have time to bathe them. It happens.
    Anonymous

• Just to put dishes in the sink. Left over dinner in the frig and toys picked up would be nice especially since I pay 10.00 an hour. Not just one sitter that doesn't pick up. 3 that I have hired for the evening. It's not like we go out much, but just a quick pick up nothing major before I get home would be nice.
    Anonymous

• Do your kids lover her? Do you trust her? Is she available? I think that is worth more than cleaning up. You can do it when you get home. You know they had a good time.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2009