Is the Flu the same as Chickenpox, Measles, or the Polio?

Wouldn't you want to be immune to all these diseases?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• First of all, it's far from the same. Second of all, we are not vaccinated against any of those things in this house. Because of advances in the medical industry NONE of those things are deadly now adays. And you know that old saying of what doesn't kill me makes me stronger? Well it works here too. Chickenpox, The Flu, Measles and even Polio are 100% cureable today and by having and fighting them you are building a naturally strong immune system. This actually will allow you to stay healthier and live longger... Also, vaccines do not cause immunity. They cause the body to fight the illness without actually getting the illness, and they also leave the opportunity for these diseases to mutate and become stronger... If the members of this site took as much time to research vaccines as they do making posts about them, there would be many many less kids with vaccinations!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• no it's not the same
    Anonymous

• Nope. I've never had the flu and never gotten a vaccine for it. I think that the big hype over swine flu is ridiculous. People die from the regular flu every year as well and we don't hear nearly as much about it. Measles have killed thousands over seas and I trust those vaccines alot more than I trust one that hasn't been out near as long and hasn't been well tested (swine flu vaccine mainly. )
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 3:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You wont be immune to anything by getting vaccines, they are not 100% at all. No vaccine is 100% but at least the other ones have been tested properly instead of being rushed onto the market.
    I have never had a flu shot in my life and have no intention of starting this year, this whole swine flu hype is just that a hype. Every year thousands of people die of the regular flu and we dont get this type of hype surrounding the regular flu.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Say hello to a lot of conspiracy theory b.s. when you post about vaccines. The H1N1 coverage is not hype. Don't let people who don't believe in vaccines scare you or change your mind. The H1N1 vaccine has been tested. The only ridiculous thing is people who believe the government is going to give a vaccine without testing it. The seasonal flu is different H1N1. This means there is no immunity to it for anyone. Period. Personally, I believe in vaccines. I have no interest in going back to the Dark Ages. What scares me more than possible side effects is contracting God knows what from people who think everything is a conspiracy to make money or that influenza and other highly contagious diseases that do kill, aren't really dangerous.
    Anonymous

• Maybe if a few more people believed in staying home when they get sick or not traveling to countries experiencing an epidemic, this would not even be an issue. I'm astounded by how many people actually believe exposing everyone and their children to a pandemic is the way to build immunity. Doesn't sound like they are doing very much research. There are some very vulnerable members of society those diseases easily kill. So much for your theories.
    Anonymous

• Because of advances in the medical industry NONE of those things are deadly now adays. And you know that old saying of what doesn't kill me makes me stronger? Well it works here too. Chickenpox, The Flu, Measles and even Polio are 100% cureable today and by having and fighting them you are building a naturally strong immune system.

You're such a fool. You keep thinking that, but if your kid turns up with measles or polio, it could be much worse than you think. Some people have their heads up their butts.
    Anonymous

• You're such a fool. You keep thinking that, but if your kid turns up with measles or polio, it could be much worse than you think. Some people have their heads up their butts.

Actually my dear, I'm not the fool. Your vaccinated children have a MUCH MUCH higher chance of contracting either measles or polio. In fact the last case of polio that was NOT contracted directly from the vaccines themselves was in 1979... In the US we have well over 40-50 cases of polio a year, each and every one of them for the last 30 years is because of the vaccine... And guess what in the last 10 years there have been a total of 2 deaths from polio, both were caused by the vaccine and neither saught medical treatment and chose to die.. As for Measles... Most children with measles have also been vaccinated. And there is less of a chance that you will die from measles if you see a doctor than there is that you will die from a plain crash! Educate!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• No shot in the world would make you immune to any of those.  What vaccinations do is protect you to where if you get those diseases you will not die or have life altering things happen, such as the family I knew once that did not believe in vaccinating their kids and their four year old got polio, now she's crippled for life which was preventable. The flu shots for instance will not prevent the flu, it is meant to prevent against hospitalization and death in the event a person does get the flu.

For myself, I have a low immune system so I do get my shots, but I also know that I may still get the flu.  The years I've not gotten the flu shot and had the flu I have ended up in the hospital for a few days, it's no fun, so I have noticed for myself a difference.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• And there is less of a chance that you will die from measles if you see a doctor than there is that you will die from a plain crash! Educate!

If you're going to suggest that others "educate" themselves, you may want to refrain from spelling words wrong. A plain crash? What made it plain? Now, is this on a bicycle, a car or a flying carpet? Just curious. Why don't you educate us.
    Anonymous