What should I expect with a c-section??

Anything would be helpful, I'm VERY scared and not sure what to expect.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Cont... They took me back to my room after an hour, they didn't say anything but put morphine in my IV along with an antibiotic for infection. I played with DS for a few min then fell asleep. They came in about 4 hours later to mark where the bleeding/oozing had gone on my bandage to track it. THe next morning they did morphine and antibiotic again. You have to have someone to help you with the baby or they will offer to take it to the nursery or nurses station for you. The afternoon of the first day they let me get up and move around and pulled the catheter. It burned really bad but I managed to walk to the bathroom. That evening they had me shower and work the bandage off my incision. That night they gave me a pill for pain but after that I took IBprofen. they released me late the second day after (I had mine in the middle of the night).
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:42 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Well at least you know that you are having it, mine was an emergency and the perforated my bladder. You won't be able to walk up the stairs or do any heavy lifting like laundry (sorry hubby) for about 3 weeks, the actual surgery was not bad, after you will be sore and have staples that you will have to go get removed about a week later. The good news--you get to stay in the hospital longer than 2 days, so use this time to rest---your baby will have a beautiful shaped head--you should also have some help at home when you get there! Good luck, it will be fine!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Are you looking for info on the procedure or recovery?

Either way, join the group c-section moms support group. Lots of info/advice there.

You can PM me if you want, had 1 last December and having another in Jan.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• when you go in they will either give you an epi or a spinal block. i prefer the spinal block, i had that with my son, and it worked perfectly. with my dd i tried a vbac, so they gave me an epi, but it didn't work, they ended up giving me a csection, so they couldn't give me the spinal after the epi, and since the epi wasn't working they ended up putting me in "twighlight sleep". after they close you back up, you'll go into the recovery room for at least an hour, depends on how long it takes you to recover, then you get to go into your room. depending on how healthy the baby is, you should be able to see him right away. if you're wanting to keep the baby in the room with you at all times, you need someone in the room with you at all times, so you may need to work out a shift plan with people. you won't be able to jump out of bed when he cries, and even when you do get outta bed, it'll be hard to hold him. GL
    Anonymous

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It isnt bad. They will give you something to block pain as a PP said. They will also give you an IV for assorted things. You go in, they do the epi/spinal, DON'T eat anything before it, mine was unplanned but not an emergancy and so I had eaten about 4 hours before and I was SO sick. They lay you down, and set up the curtains (some will let you request not to have them). They check to see that your numb then they do their thing. My OB was cracking jokes the whole time and it was hard to lay still because we were all laughing. He did the surgery, it felt like someone was tugging a bit on me, then he held my son up over the curtain. They sewed me back up and used dissolving stitches and glue so no staples. They sent me to recovery for an hour took ds to the nursery for the Ped to look him over. DH bathed him and took him to my room. Cont.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:37 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You might as well just kill yourself now. I would never ever get another c section. Worst expirience of my life.
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Why was it the worst experience of your life? What made it so horrible?
    Anonymous

• They dsnt clean it well enough and I got an infection. I was in the hospital 10 days with a 104 fever. Walking afterwards is so hard and sooooo painful. I couldn't pee because I was so swollen so they gave me 5 or 6 cathaters. They were going to send me home with a straight cathater because I couldn't pee all the way for some reason. My lung collapsed. My kids went home 6 days before me. During the c section I could feel the pain and passed out. Not the initial cutting, but them coming out and moving my insides. Worst expirience ever
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If there is any way possible....AVOID a c-section. There are too many reasons for me to explain. However, if it has to be done then do it of course. Apparently everyone has a different story b/c mine is different than pp. The surgery itself went well for me. I didnt feel anything....and I wasn't scared while it was going on. I didn't have staples...I had stitches that dissolved & my scar is barely noticeable. I did, however, have an outstanding OB. I wasnt allowed to see my son for the recovery time. I was on a strict liquid diet for 2 days...that sucked. It did hurt to stand & walk though. Good luck...hope everything goes well for you.
    riceswife

Answer by riceswife at 1:47 AM on Oct. 6, 2009