Crap, my CAT scan might have happened after conception

I got a cat scan to make sure my kidneys were clear before getting pregnant (had a kidney stone during my last pregnancy - big trauma). So the irony is that this was all in the name of having a safe pregnancy.

And now I'm testing positive for pregnancy, and I'm slapping myself in the forehead because I totally forgot about how sperm can live for a while inside a woman, and I could have had some in me when I got my IUD out.

Honestly with the whole timing (and when hubby and I were intimate) I'm not sure if conception happened before or after the scan.

Anyone get a scan in their early pregnancy? How did it turn out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• when was your last period?
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I guess the 9th of September, but my IUD made my bleeding pretty random. Got the IUD out on the 14th, had some light bleeding for about a week after that...had my scan on the 22nd.

The pregnancy test is very faint, since I've probably tested early...but the symptoms are pretty obvious to me now.
    Anonymous

• I just found out I am pregnant and I am very worried. I had a CAT scan done when I would have been about five days after conception. I am worried about how the CAT scan may have affected my baby, as well as the barium I had to drink and the "imaging agent" they injected by IV. Should I be concerned?

A

In 1990, the Committee on Biological Effects published a review where they reported a summary on radiation effects on the fetus. Time and again, they quote the sensitive period seems to start at or after the eighth week. At five days post menses, there is very little if any connection between the maternal system and the dividing blastocyst. Dosage is also a consideration and the rads involved in a CAT scan this early would probably have no effect on the pregnancy or fetus. In addition, the American College of Radiology has stated that "no single diagnostic procedure results in radiation dose significant enough to threaten the
    Anonymous

• Well you would of gotten pregnant around the 23rd. I think you are fine. I went on roller coasters a week after I had conceived but I didnt know. And I had gotten drunk around conception and my baby is fine the ultrasound came out fine.
    Anonymous