meals on a budget

ok I have a tight budget and need to go grocery shopping, what are some smart buys? I got milk and bread on the list (I have no bread machine otherwise I'd make my own sandwich bread), macaroi and cheese (I'll have to stick with the boxed stuff since it is really inexpensive), rice and beans...what else?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You can make alot of stuff with eggs and cheese and can or frozen veg, like quiche or omelets. We have breakfast for supper, like pancakes or whatever. I buy cheap frozen salisbury steaks and instant mash potatoes. Also kielbasa or polish sausage sliced up on noodles with galic butter and frozen broccoli. I shop at Sav a lot and get alot for little money! my family thinks I am queen of cheap meals!
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Also use frozen ground turkey instead of hamburger in spaghetti or sloppy joes.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• i agree with writeon. buy frozen/canned veggies and frozen meals. you could even buy the store brand, most of the time there's no huge taste difference. campbell's soups has a zillion recipes on their labels that usually require only a few ingredients. crockpot meals make a lot so you could have leftovers for other nights.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:45 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I agree, eggs! We love french toast! We also do grilled cheese and dip it in spaghetti sauce..you can get those whole chickens on sale and make a bunch of meals like chicken roll ups with a little chicken and lots of rice and beans... I can make a whole chicken last 3 meals if I have rice, beans tortillas and some soup stock and noodles....We also eat lots of chili, then use the left overs for stuffed baked potatoes or easy tacos.... buy lettuce and carrots and make a salad with every meal to stretch out your main course!
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• You don't need a bread machine to make bread. I make bread once a week, from scratch. You mix up the ingredients, knead the bread, let it rise, punch it down, knead the bread again, let it rest, let it rise again and bake it. It's very simple.

My best advice is to stick to the basics... meats, flour, butter, sugar, etc. Make most of your meals from scratch. Last Thursday I made a chicken, rice, broccoli and cheese casserole for about $5. It made SO much that we still have some left over, even after eating it all weekend for lunch.

You can make mac and cheese from scratch for less than the cost of a box.

Also, buy frozen veggies, they have more nutrients than canned and they're cheaper.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:08 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Eggs are very nutritous for the money and it sounds like you need more veggies. Fresh carrots are usually pretty cheap and look for pasta sauces on sale, some of Ragu's tomato sauces are actually good and don't taste like they're from a jar.
    Jellicle

Answer by Jellicle at 4:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I am baking bread today. It is time consuming, but not hard. While my bread is baking, I will make granola bars.

For an inexpensive meal: Cook some macaroni. Put it in a casserole dish with mixed veggies and tuna. Sprinkle with french fried onions or shredded cheese. Could also use bread crumbs, cornflakes, parmesan. Could also use chicken instead of tuna, rice instead of pasta. There are several ways to change these ingredients up to make different things.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 5, 2009