OK now this is why I think Americans are staying so mad and getting madder by the day don't you?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33129102/ns/us_news-military

At the center of the debate is one of the biggest construction projects on the U.S. government’s “to do” list: a roughly $15 billion military base expansion that is expected to require some 20,000 construction workers starting next year. Guamanian Americans will fill some of the jobs, but most are expected to go to foreign workers from the Philippines, China, and South Korea.

How many of you directly know someone maybe even your spouse who could use that job?

mamakirs

Asked by mamakirs at 3:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• This is a tough one. Yes, Americans could certainly use those jobs. It would add a fortune to the cost of the project though. It wouldn't just be the higher salaries, but the workers would literally have to be housed there.

I was listening to a debate on this issue a day or so ago. One of the congressional leaders from Hawaii wanted Hawaiians to get the jobs..it makes sense because they are closer, but the still aren't close and the salaries alone would more than double the cost of the labor for the construction.

It is a double edged sword, no matter what they do someone is going to get "cut." I'm glad I don't have to make the decision....I might just be looking for some sand to bury my head in!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 4:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• What was it again that Reich said? Oh yeah something about the jobs not going to skilled white men...

Shame on them for being white AND skilled OH MY!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• And this is why the alleged "stimulus" package won't work! No one can see that it's all a farce and that it will not benefit Americans - just our government. Cheap labor, outsourcing, and still thousands of Americans out of work! So, who is getting the benefit here? Surely not the average Joe!
    Anonymous

• I personally know off the top of my head 12 (maybe 15) men who would give about anything to be able to work that project and whom I am fairly certain have the qualifications. They are without jobs right now due to lack of work in this EXACT field!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• One of oh so many reasons. So many!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Just more evidence that Americans are not the priority, here in America...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 3:57 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• The Government can pay them a lot less than they would pay us. It is a money saving issue.
    Anonymous

• Anon are you freaking kidding me? What it is a damned slap in the face to good hard working men and women who would welcome a chance to get back to work. Money saving only counts so far....we need to stop screwing our own Country!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 4:07 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• anon if I recall Obama said something about bringing jobs back to AMERICA ..creating more for AMERICANS...oh yeah he stressed on that during the campaigns..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 4:19 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• The stimulus was supposed to create jobs for AMERICANS. Then the Americans pay taxes, buy clothes and food, and the entire market benefits. Instead, we are losing jobs at an alarming rate.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2009