help! fed up with treatment from OB!

I have had increasing annoyance and disappointment at the way my OB office has handled my pregnancy. When I call the people either don't answer or a nurse calls me back with bad or unhelpful info. Also they always send me to the ER for EVERYTHING!! It is either "wait till next appt or go to ER" which is really dumb and incovenient. I'm afraid other hospitals will be the same. I would like to try a midwife or something, but midwifery is not legal in Alabama and I feel like I don't have a choice but to put up with this! I have been given the run around for every pregnancy problem I've had. I'm afraid I may have SPD(pelvic misalignment) and am afraid that no one will take me seriously. Is there an alternative to hospitals that is not midwifery?

sammybear71

Asked by sammybear71 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Google it!  Google, Google, Google!  Midwives are legal in Alabama dear so I'm not sure who told you this but they were lying. 

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I googled it and these are the things that popped up:  www.alabamamidwivesalliance.org/

Katrina3016

• most likely you mean home birth midwives are not licensed in alabama, but they can attend births in hospitals as certified nurse midwives ? that's how it is in kentucky. it's illegal for a CPM to attend a home birth but perfectly find for a CNM to attend a hospital birth.

if you live in northern alabama, you should go to the farm in tennesee!!!!! like i said i live in kentucky but not near enough to the farm.

and i feel like 20% of OBs are good so maybe you have time to find a good one ??

good luck!
    Anonymous

• 2425 Fox Ridge Rd
    Eufaula, AL 36027-6034
    (334) 687-0604

I don't know how close to here you are located but this popped up under Birth Centers in Alabama. Maybe you can give them a call and see what happens!
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• http://www.thefarm.org/midwives/index.html

this is the farm btw
    Anonymous

• There are some great OBs, and some awful midwives... Best to get self-educated about what you want & expect. Then take a list of questions (I can share) & interview a couple of each.

It depends on what kind of care you want, too. For most women (low-risk), a midwife will offer wonderful, individualized, low-intervention maternity care.

Get more help & info on the CPD, see if you really have this~ it's rare. (Have you been born w/a disformation or had a disease?)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• doulala

• doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:09 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Start letting your fingers do the walking, call other ob's and family practitioners and find some that will deliver babys. Do phone interviews, take charge of your care. I too had one really bad ob, but another in the office was great.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:20 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• start yelling, that's how i had to get my point across about my pain from kidney stones when no one wanted to help me. urologist was like you're preg i can't help you. the ob was like you have kidney stones i can't help you. WHO THE HELL DOES!!!??? so i started yelling and crying at them both and finally got service.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 5, 2009