Are schools have stopped teaching cursive writing when did this happen?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:46 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in

• Ours still teach it..ask your school.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Many schools in this area are teaching cursive before they teach block letters. I am serious....in preschool even...I swear! I think this is overkill, but if it works and they are able to do it...then whatever.
    Anonymous

• Our school teaches it in 4th grade. Some schools are eliminating it; many schools are switching to lap tops, and the ability to type well takes precedent.  Handwriting is a dying art.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I haven't heard that. Ours still teaches it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Ours started teaching it towards the end of 2nd grade, and picked it up again in 3rd. People so rarely write anything anymore, it would be a shame if they stopped teaching it all together.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 5:49 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My son is in 7th and it's not required. When I called to find out why my son was told to do homework in block I was told not all students knew cursive.We're in South Carolina. Back up in Jersey it was required.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My son is left handed and his handwriting was not great. So get this the teacher told him to write in print because she could not understand the writing. How stupid is that? A lot of high schools that are private have laptops. Now my son who has straight A's does not have to worry about his gpa being lowered due to handwriting.
    Anonymous

• Are we secretly being programmed to be fat and lazy? I mean c'mon! No more writing? Online shopping, the Wii for fitness. Pretty soon we won't have to leave our homes for pretty much anything! Sit on the couch and be a fatass!
    Anonymous

• I learned cursive before I got out of 2nd grade and starting in 3rd, we had to write all in cursive. My son didn't learn until 4th grade. HIs cursive is horrible, well his writing period, is horrible. Also, I know some schools that teach cursive first, then printing because cursive is easier to learn. There is less picking up of the pencil, the movements are more fluid.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• My oldest started learning at the end of 2nd grade. Just to have something to do the last month. Then in 3rd grade it was part of the curriculum. She wasn't required to write in it all the time until 4th grade. Her cursive is much, much neater then her handwriting so I'm glad they still require it.
    If they hadn't I would have taught her because I think it is still an important skill to master (even though I rarely use it, I write in a hybrid script of cursive and printing or just print if I'm being neat).
    Our neighbor was in 5th or 6th grade while she was just starting to learn and was frustrated he couldn't write his name in cursive so she taught him, even though she only had a couple weeks of learning. He was a bit upset that he was learning something from a 7yo (he was like 11). But they didn't start teaching him until that year (he went to the public school).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:08 AM on Oct. 6, 2009