Boy! All you people must have real nice looking thrift shops.

The thriftshops here are all not even worh looking into. eVERY IS VERY OLD LOOKING AND VERY DIRTY.

incarnita

Asked by incarnita at 3:52 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• They are pretty bad where I live too!  I always get told to go to the GoodWill here but they suck!  I try to bargain shop and hunt down decent deals but the gas money that it takes to drive out to our Goodwill and other thrift stores isn't worth what I would have saved anyways even if I did buy something!

Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• We have several thrift stores in this area that are great and I buy stuff from ALL the time. Most of my kids cloths come from there and they are usually name brand and are clean (after I wash them of course) but no stains or tears.

My favorite place to shop actually. I found my dd a handmade smocked dress there a few days ago for 3 dollars. It was originally about 80 dollars....I feel like I have won the lottery when I find that type of stuff ;)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:55 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• yes, very lucky
    wisconsin, smallish town 34,000 people
    we have a st vincent de paul down the block
    clothes, never more than
    2.00 for jeans, unless new than it could be 4.00
    magazines are 10 cents, but some are popular ones and those are 25 cents, I can feel pampered and buy four for a dollar
    found two chairs, wood with metal legs, came from crate and barrel, these were 1 dollar each

clothes for my toddler are usually less than a dollar each item

would not be able to live without that place!

also the local bakeries drop off stuff and each customer can have two items, ...doughnuts, breads, pies, cakes etc
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• The thrift stores I go to are nothing like Goodwills...I have never found anything in one of those.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 4:01 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• oh and the books!
    hardcovers are 50 cents, some are more
    kids books usually 25 cents
    my daughter has so many books!

and who could complain about used books

some people do not like used clothes-to each his own-but books, who could have an issue
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Our's are very nice also. For the most part anyway. you always find a couple old nasty looking things. I go for decorations and stuff for around the house like shelves, halloween decorations, christmas, dvd's, I don't buy used clothes but if I see something with tags on it I will buy it from there. Oh and a big thing that I get there are books for my girls. I have never had a problem with them. I look through them to make sure they aren't scribbled on or ripped but they are $1.00 each and it is so worth it. I couldn't afford all of these books if I had to pay full price. Plus, my girls just rip them up eventually anyway..
    jackiec7707

Answer by jackiec7707 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I just went to Goodwill over the weekend, I love that place! Ours even has a plus size clothing area, I found jeans, 2 sweaters and a top. The prices are so cheap, about $4 for a nice top. I always find pants for dh there, they carry Dockers for $3-5 each. There is always something fun to look at, but not much in the way of kid's clothing, I think people take those to other resale shops.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 4:06 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I'm not big on shopping at goodwill, but I will browse there on occasion.

I like the upscale children's resale shops. Most of my kids' clothes come from places like that. Places like Children's orchard and Once upon a child and local places similar to those.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 4:12 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• some are nice and some aren't so nice here.

depends which ones you go to and when....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• We have a number of children's consignment shops or "boutiques," here in eastern PA. Some only deal in designer products (clothes, to furniture to toys), and some are "nondiscriminate" when it comes to what they sell! I had to make an appointment to meet with the owner of one such designer boutique where she then only accepted certain items, and for a set dollar amount. (Kind of snooty, if you ask me!) LOL
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009