Attendance and college

me and my mother are arguing about my sister going to college. My sister is 19 about to be 20 and this is her 3rd time being a senior and her attendence has always been horrible. And still even though school just started she has missed about 5-6 days. The argument is that as long as she gets good grades she will be accepted into a good college. I say probably not cuz they check attendance records right ( and shes doesn't have good grades becase of attendance)? My mom doesn't seem to think so and i think my sister is better off trying a community college so she doesn't waste our parents money cuz she's never even attends school. The question is..do they check attendance records? BTW. if it makes a difference we are in ny

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in

• The college I attend takes attendance and if you miss three days then they drop you out of the class and you lose all that money......
    Anonymous

• 3rd time senior in high school?????
    Anonymous

• yep 3td time as a senior in high school...
    Anonymous

• they dont check attendance that wont determine if she gets into college or not but if she is a 3rd time seniore more than likely she will not get into a university anyway i wouldnt waste the money even putting in the app cuz she will get turned down. universities look at sat or act (mine was the act) and your grades and any extra activities you did in high school. if she is really set on going to a university then go to a counselor at the college and see if she even has a chance which i am guessing she does not. community college as long as u have a degree from high school u can go to there school. i went to a community college to get my gen eds out of the way cuz it was a lot cheaper and now i am at a university i had the grades to go to a university right off the bat but didnt want to waste the money. i got a good education there and went on to a good university.
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• oh and btw colleges take attendance just like high school only its more strict every college i looked at the attendance policy was school wide and the teachers could enforce a more strict policy if they wanted. u were only allowed to miss 3 classes or ur grade was dropped one letter grade and if u missed 5 or more u were dropped from the class and u lost all of your money. so it sound slike unless she becomes more mature i wouldnt even bother going to college its too expensive to pay all that money for her to not show up. even at community college i was paying 100/credit hour so going full time 12 credit hours for fall and winter i was paying around $3000 including books which were around $300- $500 a semister
    monroemommyof2

Answer by monroemommyof2 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Geez, if she is having this much trouble showing up to high school, I wouldn't pay for college for her. My nephew flunked out of classes numerous times for not showing up. It cost him thousands of dollars in tuition.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:36 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If it's her 3rd senior year colleges won't even bother checking her attendance before turning her away.

Anonymous

• I am in college and we can miss 3 classes per course, after that our grade can be dropped anywhere from a certain amount of points to an entire letter grade for each absence after the 3 rd missed class. It doesn't matter the reason for the other missed classes, after 3, you are docked.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• She should get her GED and take some classes at a community college.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:39 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• Like everyone else says, most professors will start bringing down the grades after a certain number of absences (usually only 3 or 4). Does your sister even want to GO to college? It seems like if she's in her senior year for the THIRD time, and doesn't bother to attend classes, that maybe it's not really something that's for her anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Oct. 7, 2009