Do Colleges look at a student attendance records?

me and my mother are arguing about my sister going to college. My sister is 19 about to be 20 and this is her 3rd time being a senior and her attendence has always been horrible. And still even though school just started she has missed about 5-6 days. The argument is that as long as she gets good grades she will be accepted into a good college. I say probably not cuz they check attendance records right ( and shes doesn't have good grades becase of attendance)? My mom doesn't seem to think so and i think my sister is better off trying a community college so she doesn't waste our parents money cuz she's never even attends school. The question is..do they check attendance records? BTW. if it makes a difference we are in ny

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• Absolutely! Duh.
    Anonymous

• 3 time senior in high school???!!!
    Anonymous

• thats what i thought too but my mother just keeps thinking my sisters gonna get into a great college..lol..i don't think a 3rd time senior/never goes to school is a college going to take seriously
    Anonymous

• I have NEVER (and Im in my 40s) hear of a high school that would allow a 3 time senior. Heck I havent even heard of a 2nd times senior. You have 4 yrs and you graduate or not.

Is your sister not completely humilliated at this point?????? Dont the kids at high school tease her????

I find this very very very odd.... and horrific of the school. I would suggest you mom sign her up for the ged and be done with it. Have her move out and figure out life on her own.
    Anonymous

• no, they only care about grades but if she goes to college on financial aid she can lose her financial aid if she skips more than 3 times per class. (tardies add up to absences too) So attendance is important in college if there is financial aid.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:22 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• anon :17 they HAVE to let a person retake a grade as many times as necessary because we have the right to an education by law...alot of schools will ENCOURAGE you to attend night classes or to go to summer school...or even get a ged....but they cannot kick you out unless you are no longer a part of that school district.
    As far as a college looking at attendance they dont...i worked in the registrar of a local college and when they request your transcripts to prove your diploma they are only looking at your gpa, and your class requirements...hell from the millions of transcripts I saw every freakin day i never saw one that included the persons attendance....
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:24 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• very very true admackenzie....if your sis is known for bad attendance college is ALOT more strict....she CAN be kicked out if her gpa falls below a point, and teachers will fail her if she skips too many classes.
    blueeyedgrl2377

Answer by blueeyedgrl2377 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• If she is a 3rd time senior it has to be because she has crappy grades - right? Why else would it take some one 7 yrs to get through high school.

so it kind of seems like a non-issue.
    Anonymous

• I had very few profs who gave a damn if I was warming the seat in their class or not. I had one I attended his class for a week, he read the power point slides he had, didn't go into any detail above and beyond that, I could print the slides off the internet because he posted them. The test days were posted on the website. I read the slides myself, in my dorm room, went for the tests and said screw the rest. Got an A in the course too. I have never heard of Student loans being pulled for lack of attendance.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 5:11 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• 3 time senior in high school. She will not be accepted in with that. High shcool is suposed to take 4 years not 7. She wont be able to get any scholorships with that attendance. And schools will drop her from the class if she dosnt go in college.Like a PP said they will pull the student loans with poor attendance. If its bad and she keeps doing it like my sister did then she will no longer be accepted to that university/college.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2009