Anyone else do this? "Picking" and plucking.....

I have Googled this before, it is an actual condition. I find some type of comfort in picking at my skin, over plucking my eyebrows and hairs on my chin. As a result my skin is terrible, scars and ingrown hairs all the time, I have to cover it with major make-up all the time. My therapist said that I must find some type of soothing with this, just wondering if any other moms do anything quite like this? I am going anon on this one because I am a bit embarassed.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• it's nothing to be embarassed by.. and it is a condition, usually accompied with OCD. I haven't ever wanted to pick my face but i did get into a stage where i obsessively plucked my eyebrows, it got to the point where i had my mom keep my tweezers because i would pluck them away, and need to use a pencil to fill them in, i'm not sure if it was for vanity or a real obsession. i'm not as bad anymore, but i usually pluck my eyebrows about once a week...
    1st_time_mom23

Answer by 1st_time_mom23 at 4:35 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I do this. I'll have my skin just about cleared up then if I find myself picking at one zit I'm all of a sudden picking at every pore on my body. I hate it when I do this because my skin looks terrible! I always thought it was weird too. At least you arent alone!
    Anonymous

• omg! me too,but my skin is alright, i don't think i "overpick" it, and i like to pick on my SO anyone else?
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• i pick the skin off of my lips sometimes until i bleed, now my teen daughter is doing the same, i dont know why i do this and i really want to stop but dont know how.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• OP here - I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone, even though this is a negative thing. I will wash my face in the evening and put antibacterial ointment on the spots that I have picked and in the morning they are nearly healed and then I pick them again. Uugh! I have spoken to my therapist, he said that I just need to stop completely, it is a form of OCD.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• OMG I DO THIS TOO. ANY LITTLE BUMP I SQUEEZE OVER & OVER, I PEEL THE SKIN ON MY LIPS TOO. I ALSO PICK AT MY NAILS CONSTANTLY. IT'S JUSTA NERVOUS HABIT THAT I HAVE ALWAYS DONE & I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO STOP IT EITHER. I'M REALLY GLAD TO HEAR I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE. EVEN WHEN I WAS A BABY I USED TO PICK THE WALLPAPER WHEN MY MOM WAS NOT LOOKING & SHE WOULD PULL ME AWAY & A SECOND LATER I WOULD BE PICKING AT IT AGAIN. I'M A PICKER & A POKER. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO STOP THIS THOUGH??
    Anonymous