Is it true??

Can you really plan to have a boy or a girl and if so what are the tricks??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I don't think so, but my SIL told me this weekend that if you conceive in the second half of your cycle you'll have a girl and if you conceive in the first part of your cycle you'll have a boy. I am pretty sure it's an old wives tale, but she swears by it.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 4:26 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• all about the man and what his sperm is xx or xy
    tiffandgene2009

Answer by tiffandgene2009 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• There are a few methods that supposedly work. The ones that come to mind are the Chinese gender chart and the Shettles method. The Chinese gender chart is a chart that shows whether you'll have a boy or a girl based on the mother's age at the time of conception and the month of conception. The Shettles method says that girl sperm are slower and hardier and thrive in a more acidic environment, and boy sperm are the other way around; so to conceive a girl, you should have sex 4-5 days before you ovulate, and to conceive a boy you should have sex in the day or two (or the day of) ovulation, and do it doggy-style so you get deeper penetration so the sperm have less distance to travel since they're so slow.

That being said...the Chinese gender chart was wrong for both of mine, and I conceived them both 2 days prior to ovulation, and I have a boy and a girl.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:51 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Actually, there is some truth to this!!

Male sperm (the Y chromosome) are faster but weaker sperm; they will arrive at the uterus more quickly but also die off faster. Female sperm (the X chromosome) are slower, but stronger; they arrive later and stick around longer. Therefore, in theory, if you have sex on the day you ovulate or immediately afterward, you are more likely to conceive a boy because the male sperm will arrive at the uterus first and fertilize the already waiting egg. However, if you have sex in the day or so before you ovulate, you are more likely to conceive a girl, because the male sperm will arrive first and die off because there is no egg to fertilize, while the female sperm take a little longer to arrive and are strong enough to wait around a bit for the egg to finally enter the uterus.

This is not 100% fool-proof by any means, but it does have some scientific backing! Good luck TTC!
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 11:19 AM on Oct. 8, 2009