Hurting the temple of God

How is this done? Because it's what God tells us not to do...so I am trying to figure out is it something I eat/drink? Is it piercings and tattoos? Or is it sinning that hurts the temple of God?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 4:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sinning for sure but the Holy Spirit should be speaking to you when you are doing something that might defile the temple. Some ppl think it comes in the form of guilt or that inner voice saying "no, don't do that". I would think that things like smoking, drinking, being gluttonous, etc would be considered bad as well.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:34 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• in our church beliefs we have whats called the word of wisdom. which is a guide line what we should or shouldn't do to keep our temple bodies clean and healthy. somethings are not sins but some are. all of what you mentioned are not recommended in the word of wisdom. don't smoke, drink caffeine, alcohol, drugs, piercings and tattoos. they not only harm our bodies but herm our reputation in the world. avoiding these things helps to avoid any worldly things and the ways people look at you and what effects taking in bad elements can have. like drunk drivers, drunk husbands smoking you die from over eating can kill you etc etc. some choice to follow some don't. too each their own.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Probably all of that in one way or another.
    Anonymous

• I say its all of the above! I think treating our bodies like temples includes how we dress, the types of food we put into them, and what we do with them. To me a temple is a beautiful sacred place, so I try to treat my body like it is a beautiful sacred special place too. Its hard when that fattening chocolate cake is sitting in front of me, but I try :)
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I think we are supossed to be stewards in a sense of our bodies. I try to think of it as how I do not want my children putting harmful substances into their bodies, or for my girls, I do not want them dressing so everything is hanging out, I want them to respect their bodies - it's the same way with God. He gave us our bodies and I feel like he expects us to show them the respect they deserve. The way a person does that though is up to them. Some things I know are wrong for me to do to my body may be ok for another person. It's up to them and God!
    Anonymous

• In my belief, its anthing that would destroy your health and wel-being. IE...over indulgance of...pretty much anything...or something that continually destroys...things along that line. Respect your body. Listen to your body (not cravings, but signals).
    MamaCass07

Answer by MamaCass07 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 6, 2009

• We are as the body of Christ and are to live in such a way that reflects that. The things we eat, drink, speak, watch on tv, wear, where we go .. they can all have an impact in our lives and in our heart therefore hurting the temple of God. We are to put nothing before him and are to respect his laws. We are to live as Christ lived and it should show through us as Christians. He loves us so much, as time goes by and the more I learn, the easier it is to spot the things that would not bring him joy. I will say a prayer for you.
    HeatherMom8

Answer by HeatherMom8 at 2:08 PM on Oct. 6, 2009