Do you let your 3-8 year olds do this?

Do you let your 3-8 year olds run around outside in the street while you are not watching them? We live in a neighborhood where there are 13 kids from 4 different families all within 25-30 yards from our house, within 100 yards there is probably about 17-18 kids. My husband once called me over protective (not about this) but really, is this normal? We just moved into this new house and I loved it but now its like these kids are taking over. The 3 year old almost ran her 4-wheeler into my car, she almost ran her bike into a neighbor's car, the older boys (7-8) have said motherf*er but swore to their mom they said mother sucker and didn't get in trouble for it, when i take my 2 year old out to play they run over to ask if they can play with our ball or sidewalk chalk and honestly, maybe childishly, I want to say no I want to have alone time with my kid who I haven't seen all day. I've talked to their parent who cont.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Oct. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• have the attitude of "I can't control my kids so I'm just going to stay inside" and when they do come out they are talking to eachother not even paying attention. Twice a kid has almost gotten hit while thier parents were "watching" them.
    Anonymous

• you should consider yourself lucky to live in such a safe friendly neighborhood!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 4:53 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• It is 4 and up around here.
    Anonymous

• Yes, you are right. We live on a military base and I forgot that aspect of it.
    Anonymous

• Where we live the front yard is for being social and the back yard is for just family. If you are out where the neighbors are you are fair game. I kind of like it, but thats me. I love the sense of community having all the kids around creates.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:59 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• yeah i live on post and alot of kids that age run around the neighborhood. i have a 2 year old i let run around the park by himself. however, i have a park right behind my house, literally, like it's my backyard, so i keep my windows and back door open if i'm inside and keep an eye on him at all times, or i'm sitting right outside my back door reading or something while watching him.

it's funny though cuz i know the kids in the neighborhood but haven't met any of their parents...
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• Well they will be sorry when someone gets killed. that sounds ridiculous to me.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:03 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I didn't let my kids out front unsupervised until they were older. I do enjoy the out front socialize, backyard for family thing, but the smaller kids aren't as experienced as the older ones, and are easily influenced. Not necessarily with language and bad behavior....although definitely important, but even safety issues. The older kids know to watch for cars when they run in the street, the little ones don't always think first. I may have been overprotective, but I'd rather err that way than take a chance with my kids......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:04 PM on Oct. 5, 2009

• I am protective like you....I don't let me kids roam the streets although I have some friends that do!
    Anonymous

• No. I watch over my children. The only exception is our backyard. They are all old enough to play in the back yard which has a six foot wooden fence around it by themselves, mainly because I can look in the back at a glance with the way the house windows are built.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:27 PM on Oct. 5, 2009